Dear Parents and Guardians,
Thank you to each of you who has taken time to share positive thoughts and words to our staff. Your encouragement means the world to us! Our inquiry theme for the year is “Generosity" and it is clear that the AFS community is an amazing generous community.
A huge shout out to our teaching and support staff who continue to ensure that students are safe at school. We are truly blessed to have a group of dedicated people caring for and inspiring the hearts and minds of our students. The constraints of our “new normal" at school have not stopped our staff from caring for and nurturing student's social, emotional and mental well-being.
School Council is an important part of our AFS community. All staff and parents are members of the AFS School Council. Please join us on Wednesday night at 6:30 for our first virtual online School Council Meeting of the year. You would have received information on Thursday evening through a school messenger message on how to log on to Team Meeting along with agendas for the meetings sent today. The students and staff benefit greatly from the financial support of School Council fundraising. One of the fundraisers that has been successful has been the grocery cards. Here is a message from our fundraising committee:
"Grocery card distribution for April cards will take place on Monday Sept 28th and Tuesday Sept 29th between 8:15am-8:45am and 3:15pm-3:45pm outside the main doors of the school. An AFS Board member will be available to provide you with your cards. We please ask that you socially distance yourself should you have to wait in line.
A few reminders:
- Parents, students, and school staff must review the self-screening questionnaire each day before entering the school.
- We will be continuing to go outside as much as possible for learning and for body breaks. Please make sure that your child dresses in layers and is prepared to go outside even when it is wet or cold. Remember, there is no bad weather, just bad clothing!
- Please remember that our playgrounds are not open immediately before or after school. During school hours students will be able to use the playground in their cohorts but limiting use after school will help us to also limit the number of contacts each student has with others outside their cohorts. We would appreciate if parents take their children directly home afterschool and do not stay to play.
- Terry Fox – please continue to support our Toonies for Terry initiative on the Terry Fox Foundation. You can look up Alexander Ferguson and make your donation directly to the Terry Fox Foundation website. Here is the link: https://secure.terryfox.ca/registrant/search.aspx?eventid=309088&langpref=en-CA&searchState=teamSearch&Referrer=https%3a%2f%2fterryfox.org%2f
- Sept. 30 – School Council Meeting at 6:30 – on Microsoft Teams
- Sept. 30 – Orange Shirt Day
- October 2 – Kindergarten Afternoon Class Attends
We know this year will bring us challenges. Within those challenges there will also be opportunities! We will embrace the possibilities for things to be done a little differently. I am certain that this will allow us to grow and evolve as a school and for us to model resilience for our students. Our school's focus will continue be on best practices in teaching and learning, with a strong emphasis on academic success.
Have a great weekend!