Dear Hawks Families,
Whether your students attend to their learning through the Hub model or whether they come to our school building every day, it's been great to see our students. Our staff has had a wonderful winter break and has returned to school well rested and keen to resume the important work of learning. Teachers are very busy this month. In addition to their daily work of planning, teaching and assessing student work they add report card writing to their evenings and weekends throughout January. So if you are considering sending your teacher a nice email… now would be a good time.
BPS Hawks Gear
We hope that everyone is enjoying their HAWKS gear! The level of school spirit is amazing to see with the students and staff! Thank you very much for purchasing and contributing to a positive experience for our students. GO HAWKS!
Due to significant delays in shipping our back ordered items will be delivered to students ASAP when we receive them.
If you have any questions regarding your HAWKS gear please head to https://bpschoolcouncil.ca/council/ and email the BPSC Chair from the website.
Apparel ordering will stay open until January 31, 2021 https://bpschoolcouncil.ca/shop/
Depending on interest we may open another round of orders in the late spring.
PS - please join me in thanking Mrs. Jessica Moran, School council chair, for arranging our BPS Hawks Gear this year.
School Council Meeting – Thursday, January 21 @ 6:00pm
- This year our School council meetings are run through MS Teams. A link will be sent to all parents next week. This month our grade 3 teachers are presenting highlights about their program. Mr. Nyrerod, our Assistant Principal, will also be updating parents on the wonderful work that is being done with our students and a local Blackfoot Elder, Saa'kokoto.
- School council meetings are open for all parents to attend. These meetings provide a venue for parents to hear about upcoming events provide input to decisions that impact the school and the students' success.
- Please visit our BPS Council website to review the minutes from the last Council meeting, to see the monthly financials and the agenda for the upcoming meeting. https://bpschoolcouncil.ca
We hope to see you there.
Cars and Children
We are seeing an increasing concern around student safety before and after school and we need your help. With almost 400 children being picked up and dropped off each day, we need to be very cautious to ensure our students are safe. Our students are between 5-11 years old and sometimes younger siblings come to school to pick up their brothers and sisters. As much as parents and teachers talk with children about being cautious around traffic, they are still learning. Please observe the following driving practices to help us keep our students safe:
- No U-turns in front of the school
- Please cross the street only at our cross walk
- No parking in the bus zone
- No pick ups/drop offs in the Staff Parking lot (Kidzinc parents can use the parking lot before 8:00am and after 5:00pm)
- Maximum speed in our Playground zone is 30km/h
- Please watch for students crossing the street
School Fundraiser – Bottle Drive – January 19
This year we have some incredibly dedicated parents who are helping raise money for the school. They have been very cautious to create fund raising opportunities that do not put undue financial pressure on our families. Our next fundraising opportunity is a bottle drive! We hope your family will be able to donate your refundable containers so that all proceeds can come back to our students! Here are the details:
- January 19, 7:00am-6:00pm
- Bring your bottles to the Community Center parking lot (by the skating rink)
- There will be a big truck there to deposit your bottles
Hip Hop Dance, Anyone?
Mr. Boothman, our Physical Education teacher, has organized a great experience to help students learn about Hip Hop within our dance unit. SK Interactive is a local Calgary company that has been teaching students Hip Hop dance for several years. With COVID19, they have moved their platform to on-line/virtual to engage our students! Our Hip Hop dance fun will begin on January 18! We will be sending another email soon with more details.
Keeping us all safe
Our thanks to parents who have been asked to keep their children home if they have any symptoms. This helps keep us all safe. The daily health screening tool is located here.