Dear Parents and Guardians of Bowness High School,
Welcome to Bowness if you are new to our school or welcome back if you are returning after the summer. I have to tell you how excited I was to welcome your children to the school this morning. After 25 years in education, along with my own K-12 experience, I still get excited about the first day of school! A school is only a building unless we have students in it and with their return, we look forward to a wonderful school year ahead.
I would like to share a few updates and information items with you at this time. If you have any questions, please reach out to our Main Office via email or phone.
- Thank you for your support of the mask mandate that was instituted by the Calgary Board of Education. Safety of students is of utmost importance to us and our goal is to keep our schools open and learning face to face this year. We always have a few extras if your child forgets their mask on a given day and those are available at either the Main Office or Student Services.
- Our building is unlocked and open to students at 8 am each morning. If students have a class that takes place before that time, arrangements will be made via the teacher of the class. Each day, the school will be closed at 4 pm unless students are under the direct supervision of a teacher or coach.
- We have an ongoing construction project at Bowness that will take place after hours. The project will not affect programming, safety, or access to the school for our students or staff.
- No parents, guardians or members of the outside community are allowed in our building without an appointment. This, unfortunately, includes spectators for athletics once games begin.
- There is no student parking available on our property. Students must park on the street around the community and they should be aware of any parking bylaw signs posted. If students park on our property they will be asked to move their cars and will be ticketed after an initial warning.
- The entire front of our building is a bus zone and thus is not a pick up or drop off area. Parents and guardians are asked to pick up their students in other locations.
- Your child will be bringing home paperwork today which will include some that requires signatures and a return of the paperwork. This information is critical for us to be able to communicate with you or for your child to participate in activities at school. Please return the verified and signed forms expeditiously.
- Our student orientation days (last Tuesday and today) are a chance for us to transition students back to school and to provide them information and support for the upcoming year. As of tomorrow, regular classes will begin.
Thank you so much for entrusting your child’s education to us at Bowness High School. I take that responsibility very seriously. I have an incredibly strong staff here so your child is in excellent hands. I am confident that we can all work together, on behalf of your child, to provide them every opportunity for success throughout their high school journey.
Take care and be well,
Jana Macdonald, Principal, Bowness High School