It is hard to believe that September and half of October have come and gone. Your patience and support in helping us get off to a successful start has been greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for supporting the school as we continue to navigate the COVID -19 Pandemic. Listed below are several key points to keep in mind as we continue our work for 2021……
• School fees for students are due for bussing and lunch supervision (parents must sign up if their child stays at school for lunch….more information available on our website as a new story). Any 'digital and or in-person class/field-trip activity' fees will be posted onto your Power School account in the very near future as teachers plan and arrange for them. Please go to MY CBE ACCOUNT on our school website to make direct payment for bussing/lunchroom and school fees if you have not done so already. Our Brentwood fees were finalized by each grade level last spring and have been inputted into our RYCOR system. The first $15 for our two booked residencies (Author Jeff Stockton and Robotics specialist Dennis Kambeitz) has been posted requiring payment.
• Student extended absences greater than 15 days result in students missing critical instruction and curriculum. It is important and necessary that teachers and administration be informed of these types of absences well in advance as a meeting will be required (as detailed in another section in this newsletter).
• Thank you to all who attended our first online P/T conferences in September. It is critical to keep abreast of your child(ren)'s educational progress. We encourage you to make all possible effort to continually connect with your child's teacher about their learning both at school and from home. Our next conferences are scheduled for Nov. 24/25.
• BRAVO…we are doing a much better job of adhering to Safety over Convenience! In previous messages sent home, I have referenced matters when thinking about getting children to school, and how parents and care givers are sometimes choosing convenience over student safety. I must commend all parents as of late for their care and due diligence in our hug and go drop of areas in and around the school. Please continue to respect for the rules of the road. We need your continual help to keep everyone safe!
• Fire Drills and Lockdown Practices. All schools are mandated to have 6 fire drills and 2 lockdown practices during the school year. These drills are done to ensure that everyone in the building knows what to do in case of an emergency. When the fire bell rings all classes move silently out the nearest exit to assemble on the field. Our first fire drills have taken place for the month of September. Please take this opportunity to discuss fire safety with your child. Our first lockdown practice will occur in the very near future as well.
• A virtual 'Pumpkinella' event as well as Halloween costume day is on the horizon once again – October 29th. For those new to our school this will be an opportunity for students and staff to show off their pumpkin carving skills as well come dressed to school in a costume for the Halloween season. There will be more information coming about how to participate – stay tuned!
• Brentwood School Casino is on the horizon– November 15 and 16. Our parent Fund raising society is still short of volunteers – at least 20 more volunteers are required and need to be confirmed asap. Please consider signing up for a shift as per previous school messenger information that was sent to you. If the fund raising society does not get enough volunteers, they could lose the Casino opportunity …and the fund raising dollars that come with it!!!
• School Messenger. Thank you to all parents/guardians who have made sure they are registered for School Messenger in order to receive both email and text communication from the school. If you have still not registered, it is imperative that you do so on the CBE main website page. Should you require further guidance in this regard, please do not hesitate to contact the school.
• School Calendars can be printed from our School website by going to following link….the months of September – December have been completed. Other months will be completed shortly.
• Leaving Messages…..please note that if you are leaving email messages for your child's teacher, they may not be retrieved until the end of the day after dismissal; or if there is a substitute teacher, they may not be retrieved until the regular teacher returns. If the message is urgent, please contact the office directly.
• Attendance Line…..Parents, please ensure you call the school main office first and foremost at 777-6130 and select Option #1 – Attendance Line to leave a message before 9:00 am if your child is going to be absent or late. This assists the office staff immensely and is designed for the safety of your children. Your cooperation is appreciated.
• Requests for in-person students for pick up versus taking the bus…..any last minute notifications less than '30 minutes' prior to the busses leaving may or may not be processed as the last part of the school day in the office is extremely busy. Please notify us well in advance. Thanks in advance for your consideration!
• Papers! Papers! And More Papers! September was a busy month and you have no doubt were inundated with information from many sources. A very important package of forms was sent home in an envelope – demographics updates and other important forms to be signed. Please ensure that the completed package has been returned to your child's teacher OR to the school main office. Thank you for your cooperation.
• Bussing The new Brentwood bus code for MyBusStop is CBE56N016I. Parents are reminded that only bussed children, whose parents have completed a Transportation agreement and have received their contract may ride the bus. Due to COVID-19 restrictions and protocols, children are not allowed to go on a bus at any time until directed by CBE transportation!
• Thank you for supporting Orange Shirt Day and Terry Fox Run! September 29 was a day (Orange shirt day) where we recognized those who had many a challenge in their lives, and yet had the power and stamina to work them. October 1 was a day where all students and staff ran or walked to support our annual walk/run fund raising campaign for Terry Fox. AS school I am proud to say we raised $1800. Hats off to all students, staff, and parents who supported these worthy causes.
• Signing Out Children - If you come to the school to pick up your child for appointments, etc., it is extremely important that you sign them out at the foyer entry. For children who ride the bus, please sign them out in the appropriate bus column no later than 3:40 p.m. as this helps to ensure the bus drivers receive the information in a timely fashion.