September 1, 2023
Estimadas familias de nuestra Escuela Canyon Meadows,
The school start-up has been quite a success! We are thrilled to have our students back, their smiles warm our hearts.
On Friday, Sept. 1 we had our welcoming assembly lead by grade 5 students. We shared the story “Have you Filled a Bucket Today?" to encourage our students to continue demonstrating kindness to themselves, each other and to our fantastic school!
Student Learning Conferences and Ongoing Communication
We will have our first Parent-Student-Teacher Conferences on Sept. 21 and 22, during which parents/guardians will have the opportunity to meet their child's teacher. Parents/guardians will be able to book a time to meet the teacher a week prior to conferences through your MyCBE account. More information will be provided closer to the date.
Students and families are encouraged to use the MyCBE parent account portal, rather than the PowerSchool App, to access information about attendance and Report Card information. Click on the following link MyCBE: Accessing Attendance and Assessment Information for instructions on how to find your child's attendance and future Report Card information.
Each homeroom teacher continues to have a Google Classroom to maintain an online presence. Click on the following for How to Log into Google Classroom for Students.
Student Code of Conduct
Escuela Canyon Meadows continues to be a vibrant and caring community of learners including students, staff, and parents. The safety, well-being, dignity and positive spirit of our community are valued and supported through clear, consistent expectations. Click on the following link, which will take you to our school website to review the CBE Code of Conduct and CBE Progressive Student Discipline regulation which outlines the roles and expectations for our students to promote a positive and inclusive learning environment at Escuela Canyon Meadows.
Regular school attendance has a huge impact on a student's academic success starting in kindergarten and continuing through high school. Even as children grow older and more independent, families play a key role in making sure students get to school safely every day and understand why attendance is so important for success in school and in life.
We realize some absences are unavoidable due to health problems or other circumstances. When students miss too much school it can cause them to fall behind academically. Regular school attendance is an important life skill on the path to graduation and future employment.
Please ensure that your child attends school every day and arrives on time. Here are a few practical tips to help support regular attendance and punctuality:
- Listen and show an interest in your child's day.
- Encourage your child to do well in school and praise their success.
- Help your child maintain daily routines such as, eating breakfast, turning off electronics two hours before bedtime and going to bed early.
- If possible try to schedule dental and medical appointments after school hours or on days off from school.
- Send your child to school unless sick.
- It may be a concern if your child is often sick, complains about going to school and/or struggles with school work.
- Ask for help from the school before the problem gets too big. No problem is too small.
Let us know how we can best support you and your child so they can attend school regularly and punctually.
We would like to reiterate the information below, previously provided in our Welcome Back Principal message:
We encourage your family to review our school website together to be familiar with the guidelines for building a healthy school community at Escuela Canyon Meadows. A few important housekeeping items to be aware of:
1. Each child needs to have a pair of indoor and outdoor shoes, labelled with their name. Please ensure the indoor shoes can be used for daily physical education and remain at the school at all times. Students are required to change their footwear when they enter and exit the building. Please also ensure your child has a large sized backpack.
2. Students are not permitted to enter the school via the front doors. The exception to this is if the student is late. Otherwise all students enter and exit from their grade specific doors. Kindergarten doors face our playground structure.
3. We are a “nut" aware school. We have students with severe allergies that are life threatening. Please avoid sending nut products to school. Each Kindergarten student needs a healthy snack to have at school and Grade 1 to Grade 5 students benefit from two snacks and a lunch.
4. Parents/guardians will drop off and pick up their child(ren) near their designated doors. This is extremely important to ensure the safety of our students. The school does not provide after school supervision; please ensure you are on time.
5. Please ensure all after school arrangements are made at home (i.e., play dates). This allows the school to ensure safety of our students. If your child takes the bus, please ensure you are on-time as Southland Transportation will have another route following. Calling Southland Transportation directly is the best course of action if you need to get a message to the driver. Kindergarten students are only released to a parent or an approved designate. Students regularly picked up by an adult are to remain on the bus when no one is at the bus stop to meet them. If there is no one at your child's bus stop the bus driver will wait a few minutes and then proceed with finishing the route. If there is no contact with the parent, the bus driver will bring your child back to the school.
6. Parents new to CBE, please sign up for MyCBE/PowerSchool as this is where you will pay your fees online and book your Parent-Student-Teacher Conferences. Use this link to create your account.
7. Our final reminder includes ensuring immediate, clear and open communication. We work together and follow a three-step protocol to ensure your voice is heard. Our goal is to collaborate together to effectively solve problems at a school level.
i. If you have a question or a concern, your first step is to contact your child's teacher.
ii. If you feel your question or concern has not been adequately addressed, then please contact Mrs. Rau (Administrative Secretary) to make an appointment with Sra. Gutiérrez (Assistant Principal).
iii. If you feel your question or concern has not been adequately addressed by our AP, please make an appointment with Sra. Perera Pérez (Principal) through Mrs. Rau.
At ECM, we continue to be committed to student well-being and safety, excellence in teaching and learning, and to working collaboratively with staff, parents and students to ensure a robust bilingual education for our children.
Reciban nuestros saludos cordiales,
Lilien Perera Pérez Cecilia Gutiérrez
Principal/Directora Assistant Principal/ Vicedirectora