At Our School
We over 300 students from Kindergarten to Grade 6 arranged in straight grades. We also have two classes for students with moderate to severe cognitive challenges. Sixty percent of our students have English as their second (or third or fourth) language and 20% are identified as having special learning needs.
School Philosophy & Purpose
Our purpose at Cecil Swanson School is to provide our students with challenging and meaningful quality learning opportunities for personal growth. These opportunities will help to develop the academic, social, emotional, creative, and physical potential of each child to the fullest. We will strive to accomplish this with the full involvement and commitment of our school community in a positive atmosphere of active learning.
Our Principles of Learning & Teaching
- Everyone can learn
- There is a positive, caring, safe and inviting environment
- Our environment encourages risk-taking, problem solving, decision making and creative thinking
- Students are actively involved in and take ownership for their own learning
- Parents, teachers and students must work cooperatively in the learning process.
- Program requirements and assessment/evaluation procedures are clearly communicated
- Our school environment fosters and supports mutual respect and understanding of individual differences
- Our school is part of a larger community of learners and teachers
- School structure and organization support and reflect what we know about learning and the learning environment
Start Smart Stay Safe (S4)
Our school is part of the S4 - Start Smart Stay Safe initiative
once again this year. This is a partnership between the CBE, Calgary
Catholic School District, the Calgary City Police Department and
Mount Royal University: S4 Strengthening Students, Families and
Communities. This is a proactive, strengths-based model of
teaching/learning where police, schools and families partner together
to actively build positive relationships, create safe communities and
prepare children for the challenges of our complex, changing world.