Clarence Sansom School opened on May 9, 1984. Our school colors are blue, orange and white. Our team name: Scorpions.
Excellence through exemplary, innovative and sustaining programs.
Clarence Sansom School is the school of choice with an enriched student-centred environment that supports positive behaviour as well as the development of teaching, assessment and planning practices that lead to enhanced student understanding, engagement and ownership of learning.
Who Was Clarence Sansom?
Clarence Sansom was a lifelong educator in Alberta. After graduating from the University of New Brunswick in Arts, he began his teaching service as Principal of the original Central School in Calgary in 1907. Over the next 40 years he moved to several locales throughout the province, sharing his expertise as a teacher, administrator and leader of the newly founded Alberta Teachers’ Association. He concluded his illustrious career as director of the newly established Calgary Branch of the Faculty of Education at the University of Alberta in 1946/47.
Our purpose is to ensure individual student development through effective education. The development of individual students requires an interaction between students, teachers and parents. These relationships enable students to grow socially, physically, intellectually, culturally and emotionally. The staff works together with students to help them reach their potential. It is expected that each student will be willing to work with teachers to achieve this goal.
Clarence Sansom is a school that attempts to highlight the importance of accomplishment and effort, within a climate of mutual respect.
At Clarence Sansom we believe in being:
Responsible and taking responsibility for our actions, in person and online
Equitable and fair, without bias
Supportive of positive school spirit, sportsmanship, and supporting others in doing the right thing
Polite and considerate
Compassionate and caring
Tolerant of the beliefs, values race, religion, age, gender, culture, sexuality and identity of others
It is our desire that each student will find life at Clarence Sansom enjoyable and the Programs of Study educationally beneficial. To encourage opportunities for this to happen, the following goals have been established:
- Provide a solid foundation in the areas of reading, writing, mathematics, science, social studies, physical education, health as well as the practical and fine arts.
- Provide types of activities which will assist the development of the following attitudes within students:
- A feeling of self-worth and confidence;
- Learning to get along with and respect people with whom they work and play;
- A healthy desire for learning and achievement through a growth mindset;
- Feelings of responsibility and self-discipline;
- Pride in their work and school;
- A desire to attend school.
- Provide a firm, consistent and fair discipline policy that will develop respect and a sense of responsibility within students. This will involve close communication between home and school. The ultimate goal is for each student to be a self-directed learner.