Dear Parents & Guardians,
A huge shout-out to Ms. Lemke who organized a wonderful Grade 6 celebration, which was recorded and shared with the parents. Congratulations to Amelia, Alina and Luke for being the first recipients of the Colonel Walker School Alumni Award.
A big Thank You also goes to Ms. Connell who took time to organize a virtual talent show. Thank you to all the parents who took the time to record their child’s skill. I enjoyed watching the Talent Show and the variety of talents presented!
As the year is drawing to an end, I’m reflecting on my past two years at CWS. Each day, week and month, it has been my goal to build relationships with students, staff and parents, while also improving the learning experiences for students. While the past two years have been anything but normal, they did pass in the blink of an eye.
I would like to share with you a list of some of the work that I have accomplished during my first two years at CWS:
- Introduction of French as a Second Language (4x 40 minutes each week)
- Math club for grade 4-6
- Cribbage club gr. 3 (last year)
- Purchase of math manipulatives to allow for hands-on learning activities (Casino funding)
- Focussed early literacy testing first week of September to determine who needs additional support for the year (or part of the year)
- Purchase of non-fiction levelled readers (Casino funding)
- Removal of all Piitoyias Family school technology off the Colonel Walker’s tech footprint (100+ items)!
- Replacing all the old Mac laptops with new ones (school funds)
- Replacing all old iPads with new ones (CBE Evergreening dollars)
- Protective covers for the iPads (Casino funding)
- New Smartboard for room 13 (Casino funding & school funds)
- Starting collaboration with Piitoyias Family of School – between classes as well as joint professional development
- Learning on the land time for each class this year (Walking Wednesdays etc.)
- Removing 4 truck loads of ‘old things’ from the basement and another one is ordered for this June
- Emptying the ‘tech graveyard’ room and transforming it into a welcoming break-out room that is now used daily by students and support staff
- Multi-lingual Welcome sign at front office; Treaty 7 language decal over the entrance doors to the gym
- Started sending weekly updates to parents on Fridays (Week at a Glance!)
- Purchased large buckets with a variety of recess equipment for each classroom (and we are replenishing them again for next year) (casino funding)
- Purchasing standing desks, wiggle stools, pencil grips, visual timers, head phones etc. to optimize student learning (Casino funding)
- Purchased additional gym equipment (Casino funding)
- Establishing CWS as a Rotary “Stay in School Program” school
- Organizing the ballroom dance residency & the SOGO Orienteering residency & Outdoor school
- Hiring a second, outstanding, education assistant
During my two years at CWS, I have met many of you. Each and every one of you has been welcoming and supportive. I feel very lucky to be part of the CWS family and such an integral part of the Inglewood community. In closing, I would like to say THANK YOU to each and every one of YOU.
YOU have helped in your own way to make sure we, as the Colonel Walker School Community, made it through COVID-19. I would like to share the following YouTube video with you that says THANK YOU much better than I ever could. Make sure you have some tissues handy.
Wishing you and your family a most wonderful summer. See you on September 1!
Meike Thomsen, Principal