Excerpted from our June 2018 Newsletter.
Thank you to all the parents who joined us for the Volunteer Tea on May 31. The Circus theme fit perfectly with the crazy kind of fun we have around here - and I’m not referring to the fact that at times it feels like Three Ring Circus!!! Our school is a busy place and without the assistance of all of our dedicated volunteers, we would not be able to accomplish nearly as much. You, fundraise, celebrate, create, provide math practice, laugh, read, play games, golf and even fix bicycles!
I truly believe Deer Run School is a community of people working together for the benefit of all of our children and I appreciate the efforts of all of the volunteers and the positive relationships we have been able to build working together. Even a great big bolded, “Thank you” doesn’t seem adequate for the countless time and effort you’ve given us.
The pace of our school activities will continue through to the end of June. There are many exciting activities yet to come and it’s very helpful if you review the calendar and read the School Messenger e-mails we send to stay informed about activities, events and requests. For example, Sports Day is on June 22 and we always need lots of help running activity stations. If you’re available and would like to join us, please sign up on the Volunteer Website.
As we look towards next year, remember to let the office know if you are planning to move. We are currently setting up classes and if our student count is accurate now, it will result in fewer changes having to be made in September.
Next year will bring a few staff changes.
- With only 2 Kindergarten classes so far next year, Christy Pizzulo will be leaving her part time position here. Christie’s been an awesome addition our staff and watching the joy she gets in spending time with Kindergarten students will be missed.
- Both Alex Gilbert and Denae Delcourt are currently working under temporary contracts. We’re trying our best to keep them here because both have been awesome additions to our Deer Run staff, but at this point we’re preparing our good-bye speeches, a gift and tear!
- Whitney Andrews has been extremely flexible, dedicated and organized as she worked this year to support our ELL learners and Math instruction but unfortunately for us, her temporary contract has come to an end s well.
- Belinda Raynor is resigning as lunchroom supervisor - choosing to leave Deer Run at the same time as her youngest son leaves Grade 6!
- Chery Juzwishyn retired from her Educational Assistant position in April.
- We’re happy to welcome Michelle Lilles and Abbey Van Roekel back as they return from their respective leaves.
As always, we appreciate your input regarding your child’s class placement next year. If you have thoughts about a best-case scenario regarding a learning environment for your child, its best if know about it now as opposed to in September. Since we do not know yet exactly which staff members will be teaching in which grades, please do not request specific teachers. However, if you have insight as to how your child learns, please inform us in writing as to the type of environment you feel would be best suited to your child.
Have a most relaxing yet fun-filled summer break - and remember - encourage your kids to get outside. Maybe even lock up the video games for a month or two! You’ll be amazed at their interest and creativity! And of course don’t forget to read with them!!!