Welcome back to a brand new school year! Alternately, if you are one of our new families, welcome to our school, we’re happy to have you on board. I know I’m a bit late in the school year with this message, but my sincerity is genuine none-the-less!
I would like to use this forum to formally recognize all of the incredible volunteers we have working within our school. I am secretly (well, maybe not so secretly) incredibly proud of all that we do for children and the atmosphere that we have created together. We have a fantastic, hard-working and caring staff, but we would not be nearly as successful working with your children if not for the time, effort and donations of so many giving people.
The following outlines just some of the different agencies, partnerships and individuals who, through their volunteer efforts, genuinely demonstrate the meaning of care.
The parent volunteers who attend school council to advise and assist in all school operations are absolutely amazing and I can’t thank them enough for their tireless efforts to enrich our school. They plan and run the Family Dance, keep the Healthy Hunger Program going, arrange the donations for the Giving Tree, assist with picture days and arrange opportunities for you to volunteer your time at events like Halloween Happening and Sports Day. They also undertake fundraising initiatives like the Coupon Books, the Christmas Catalogue, popcorn sales, bottle drives and the casino fundraiser. The money raised through these initiatives benefits each and every student at Deer Run. Here’s just a few of the things we might not be able to do or have at Deer Run if it were not for the extra funding these hardworking parents provide:
- Class field trips
- Calgary Reads program
- Classroom supplies - extra supplies for activities, art, books or special projects
- Technology – School Council provided $35 000 last year to help us purchase and up-grade student computers
- Artists in Residence – each year 3 different programs are arranged to supplement the curriculum. We’ve had dance, yoga, soccer, song-writing, opera and drama residencies over recent years
- Author visits
- Library materials
- Extra equipment for Phys. Ed., Science, Music and Art
- Busses for our ski and swim programs
Please see our volunteer page for volunteer opportunities.