DDS Students, Staff and Families,
The end of the 2021-22 school year brings us much to celebrate! It has been a year of resiliency for all. While COVID presented many challenges, throughout it all our learning community showed flexibility and a commitment to learning. Students continue to grow as authors, mathematicians and citizens that come together as a community that genuinely cares for each other.
With restrictions now lifted, we have been excited to return to normal school activities such as Activity Day, field trips, assemblies, and family events such as our open house and Welcome to Kindergarten. Next year, we already have some exciting opportunities planned, starting in September with an adventure running residency, a Meet the Teacher evening with food trucks, and a storytelling residency with Jeff Stockton in late Fall. A big thank you to School Council and parents for supporting DDS.
The only thing in life we can count on is change and thus, we expect change at the end of each school year with students and staff. Luckily, we get to keep our grade four students next year as DDS will be adding grade five to our learning community!
We said some good-byes to our EES students and staff today as they are moving to McKenzie Towne School for 2022-23 with Veronika Havkin and Liz Hrycan as their teachers. We also said good-bye to a handful of other staff members at our year-end assembly today. We wish them well in their new adventures!
- Goodbye and happy retirement to Lorna Addison (grade two) and Mrs. A (lunchroom).
- Best of luck to Shannon Salomons (grade two), Ellie Hrynuik (EES) and Darryl Fidler (grade two) as they move on to new schools and new learning journeys.
- Thank you to Mrs. Hunter for helping us in the office for the past couple of months and we wish the best of luck to our educational assistants - Ms. Rowe, Ms. Taylor, Ms. Marina.
We are excited to welcome new and returning staff for the 2022-23 school year. Class lists will be finalized when teachers return in August. Families can expect a welcome email from their child’s classroom teacher on August 31st, introducing themselves and explaining the first day procedures. We plan to start 2022-23 with the following staff:
- Kindergarten – Kathleen Garneau, New Hire TBD
- Grade One – Anna Vilaysane/Kitty Chan, Faye Waldren, Laura Bielefeld, Hope Mack (EA)
- Grade Two – Lindsay Otterson, Kim Christensen, Maree Koehler, Danielle Self (EA)
- Grade Three – Regan Krieger, Michelle Blais, Jill Shaw, Karen Duquette (EA)
- Grade Four – Kendra Audette, Sarah Kesler
- Grade Five – Justine Stone, Michelle Kurchak, Naomi Nagai
- Music – Bruce Anderson
- Office – Heather McKay, Monique Koleyak, Sue Naylor
We hope all our DDS students, staff and families have a wonderful summer filled with activities and people that bring you joy. Thank you for an excellent school year together. We know next year will be even better!