Dear DGS Families:
This past week has seen our students marking a milestone with their Grade 9 Farewell, making some memories with the Grade 7’s at Outdoor School and our Grade 6’s writing the first of their Provincial Achievement Tests. We are making the most of our wet June days together!
Recently, Mr. Rushton and I completed a review of the student survey feedback gathered through the OurSchool Survey in late May. Based on this feedback, we learned that the vast majority of our students feel safe and well-cared for by our teachers and administration. We are committed to supporting those students who, for a variety of reasons, may not feel safe at school. Students also told us they appreciated having more exploratory courses to choose from this year. Based on student feedback, we will be returning to students using lockers at the start of the 2022-2023 school year. We will continue our intentional work with students about respecting one another, as this continues to be an area students feel can be better developed. Part of this work will be taking up the intentional conversations with students about understanding racism and/or discriminatory language and the use of words that are slurs. Through identifying it, defining it, talking about the impact our words and actions have on one another, we will continue to make DGS the best school it can be. We appreciate our students identifying the things that matter to them.
Are you ready to talk about it? (Probably not…) If you are, take a deep breath and visit the Back to School page on our website to learn more about the first days of school at DGS for the 2022-2023 school year
Big Chief Fundraiser Update
Big Chief beef jerky has arrived! Thank you so much for supporting our students and DGS, we greatly appreciate it.
You are welcome to pick up your order from the main doors of the school on Friday June 17th, 2022, between the hours of 11:55am and 2:00pm. If you would prefer to have your child/student pick up the order, please ensure they know the name used on the order form.
School Council and Parent Fundraising Society AGM Information
You are invited to the Annual General Meeting of the Dr. George Stanley School Council and the Dr. George Stanley Fundraising Society on Wednesday, June 22 at 7:00pm in the DGS Staff Room. For each meeting we will be holding an election to elect our executive members and directors and all positions are available.
School Council Positions include:
- Vice Chair
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Key Communicator
DGS Fundraising Society Positions include:
- Vice Chair
- Casino Coordinator
- 2 Directors at Large
For more information on these positions, please refer to the DGS Council Operating Procedures and the DGS Fundraising Society Bylaws.
Please find attached the following documents:
- School Council AGM Agenda
- DGS Fundraising Society AGM Agenda
- School Council Operating Procedures
- DGS Fundraising Society Bylaws
- 2021 AGM Minutes- School Council
- 2021 AGM Minutes- Fundraising Society
- June 2022 School Council and Fundraising Society monthly meeting agendas
- May 2022 School Council and Fundraising Society meeting minutes
- Catch up vaccinations for Grade 6 & 7 (AHS Routine Childhood Vaccine Program)
- School Council and Parent Fundraising Society AGM 7:00pm at Dr. George Stanley School (main doors open at 6:45pm) - Please note that this is a departure from the last Wednesday of the month schedule and constitutes 3 weeks notice of the AGM
- Grade 9 Farewell Trip to Calaway Park
- Last day of classes for all students
- Sports and Activity Day
- Report Cards released for viewing in PowerSchool
Provincial Achievement Tests
Here are the upcoming PAT dates and times. Please note that regular classroom instruction resumes after these exams, as such, the expectation is for the students to remain at school, following the usual dismissal schedule of that day.
- Social Studies 6 (9:00-10:00am)
- Math 6 Part A (9:00-9:20am)
- Math 9 Part A (9:00-9:30am)
- Math 6 Part B (9:00-10:10am)
- Social Studies 9 (9:00-10:10am)
- Math 9 Part B (9:00-10:15am)
- ELA 9 Part B (9:00-10:15am)
As always, please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org OR 403 817 3556.
Principal, Dr. George Stanley School