We are very excited to have the students return next week. If you borrowed a computer please bring it back ASAP as it takes some work to put the charging stations back together. We will move our lunch time back to normal starting Tuesday the 25th, a split lunch with grade 5 and 7 first and grade 6, 8 and 9 going the second session.
We are close to the end of the year and will be working toward completing those final assignments and supporting students as they transition to the summer. It is essential that parents encourage their children to read regularly this summer. Reading is the single most important thing they can do to support their learning.
Reading Stats and Facts:
- “Extensive reading was linked to superior performance on measures of general knowledge, vocabulary, spelling, verbal fluency, and reading comprehension.” – Cunningham and Stanovich, 1998
- “In one of the most extensive studies of reading yet conducted, Anderson, Wilson, and Fielding traced reading growth to reading and reading volume. They found that the amount of time students spent reading was the best predictor of reading achievement.” – Anderson, Wilson, and Fielding (1988)
- “It is clear that reading early in life are critical factors in student success,” – Anthony W. Marx, president of the New York Public Library, New York Times (2015)
- “Differences in volume of pleasure reading between good and poor readers is massive.” – Cunningham and Stanovich, 1998
- “Differences in reading volume make an independent contribution to growth in reading and language skills.” – Mol & Bus, 2011
- “Research consistently shows strong correlation to reading & academic success at all ages” – National Center for Educational Statistics
Find some great books and read with them! Books make us smarter.