The best way to ensure safety is to drop your child off prior to the entry bell (supervision starts 15 min prior to the bell), and to set an arranged pick-up place after school.
Drop-off and Pick-up
When driving or walking students to school, parents are urged to remind their children to enter via their designated doors. The same procedure exists for pick up at dismissal times. Parents or siblings meeting our students at dismissal times are asked to wait outside of the school near the appropriate designated door. Please understand that our entry and dismissal times can be very busy simply due to the number of students at Fish Creek School.
During regular weather days, we ask that parents consider having their students walk, bike, scooter, or skateboard to school. Avoiding traffic congestion goes a long way to avoiding business. If parents are biking to school with their child, please be aware that adults are also expected to follow our school rules of “walking the wheels” while on school property. This sets the right example for our students who know and follow this expectation.
Review our Personal Belongings page for more information on Bicycles, Scooters, Skateboards & “Heelys”.
The “drive through” is available for parent drop-off in the morning, however we ask that parents follow the following simple rules:
- There is no parking on the laneway. There are spots to pull in to. No matter how “quick” you think you may be, there will always be affected traffic.
- Parents are not permitted to exit the vehicle when dropping off. Please make sure your child can exit the vehicle on their own, and ensure they have their stuff with them before pulling away.
- Pull as far forward in the drive through as possible, no matter what door you are dropping your child off at.
- Do not double park. Pull as close to the curb as possible.
- When pulling away after drop-off, shoulder check for cars that may be pulling by on your left. While the drive through is monitored by staff each morning, the school is not responsible for any accidents as the drive through is considered a roadway and all traffic rules apply.
The drive through can get very busy in the morning, particularly on inclement weather days. Alternate drop off areas include Suncastle Drive, Sunwood Road, Sunwood Way or one of the nearby side streets. We would request, if children need to cross Suncastle Drive, they cross with the patrols.
Crossing the Street
Although we will be meeting with students to talk to them about the changes, we would also ask parents to re-enforce the importance of crossing with the Safety Patrols as it is dangerous crossing in the middle of the street and/or between parked cars. We encourage you to plan a meeting place with your child.
If you have young children, we would suggest you have a meeting spot on the school grounds, meet your child there and walk them to your vehicle.