Career and Life Management (CALM) helps you develop your ability to make well-informed decisions and choices that contribute to the well-being and respect of yourself and others.
In CALM, you:
- Apply an understanding of the emotional, psychological, intellectual, social, spiritual and physical dimensions of health
- Learn responsible financial decision-making to reflect your values and goals and to demonstrate commitment to self and others
- Apply strategies to manage your wellness and lifelong career development
- Learn online at many high schools
Career and Life Management (CALM) is a required
course for completion of an Alberta High School Diploma. CALM
helps to build confidence in the ability to manage the challenges of our rapidly
changing society. Students will examine a variety of problems and issues that
can affect the quality of their lives as they move into the 21st century.
students will be provided with opportunities to practice and develop essential
skills in the areas of communication, problem solving, decision-making, critical
thinking and personal reflection. This will provide the understanding and skill
to make plans and decisions to reach lifetime goals.
The course is divided
into three themes/units:
- Career Exploration/Development of Essential and Transferable Skills
- Financial Planning and Consumer Choices
- Personal and Interpersonal Challenges
Career Development (1-2 credits)
In addition to the above units, students in CALM engage in extensive career
planning, which allows them to earn up to 3 extra credits throughout their high
school career. The following modules describe those credits:
Students develop successful employment search skills
and a personal employment search portfolio.
CTR 2310 Career Directions – Expansions
Students build on
work done in CALM to update their learning/career plan, to enhance their career
tool kit, and to update their action plan for the successful transition to the
world of work.