Dear Highwood Families,
It's finally June! It's been a challenging year full of new safety protocols and processes but everyone has done a fantastic job in keeping each other healthy and safe. I would like to give a special 'shout out' to all of the Highwood staff who have been diligent about Covid protocols, especially when positive case numbers were really high and students were experiencing Covid fatigue. Thank you to all parents who have been so supportive throughout the entire year in ensuring that your child and the Highwood School community were safe. There have been lots of adjustments and sacrifices, but it has been a great lesson in 'how does kindness change the world?'
A few June messages:
- Ensure that your child wears proper runners to school (outdoor shoes). With the nice weather, students are having daily outdoor gym and recess and sandals/ flip-flops are a safety hazard. We'd hate for anyone to get injured!
- Students currently attending Highwood School will automatically roll over to the next grade. You do not need to re-register or re-apply. Current grade 4 students will automatically roll over to Colonel Irvine grade 5 Chinese Bilingual program unless you tell us otherwise.
- If you have any friends or family who would like to be a part of the Highwood School family (and live in a community designed to Highwood), we currently have a few spots available in grades 1-4. A reminder that students entering in grades 2-4 must take an entrance exam and be able to read, write, speak, and understand grade level Mandarin. Please have them contact the school office for more information.
- Please pre-register your child for the yellow school bus for the 2021-2022 school year via your MyCBE/PowerSchool Account. The deadline is Sunday, June 6. We ask that you register for the bus, even if you are unsure if your child requires it or not. It is much easier to cancel your registration than add it after the deadline. The school bus fee has not been confirmed at this time, but it is proposed to be $465. You will require your child's CBE ID number to register. If you do not have it, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request it. We can only respond if you email us from the email address you have on file with us. We check this email account on school days, during school hours so please don't wait until Sunday, June 6 to contact us.
Important June dates:
- Thursday, June 3- Orange Shirt Day- we are encouraging all students to wear an orange shirt to school in honour of the 215 children found buried on the site of the former Kamloops Indian Residential School
- Friday, June 4- Early dismissal; Monday/Wednesday kindergarten attends school
- Sunday, June 6- LAST DAY TO PRE-REGISTER FOR THE YELLOW SCHOOL BUS
- Friday, June 11- Early dismissal; Tuesday/Thursday kindergarten attends school
- Monday, June 14 @ 7:00pm- School Council Meeting
- Friday, June 18- Early dismissal; Monday/Wednesday kindergarten attends school
- Thursday, June 24- Last day of school for Tuesday/Thursday kindergarten
- Thursday, June 24- SPIRIT DAY! Beach day!
- Friday, June 25- No school for kindergarten (there is still school for grades 1-4)
- Monday, June 28- Last day of school for all students
- Tuesday, June 29- Appeals day
Stay healthy, stay safe!