Dear Highwood Families,
We made it through the first couple of days of school! It was a wonderful school start. Below are a few reminders for the month of September as well as some important dates.
- Volunteer Clearance
- Help the Environment!
- Mid-autumn Festival
- Important September Dates
There are many fieldtrips coming up especially in the months of September and October and WE NEED VOLUNTEERS! Volunteer Clearance can take weeks, so please complete this ASAP. We recommend that all parents complete a security clearance.
All parents wishing to volunteer with in-school and off-site events MUST complete and pass a Calgary Police Services security check. To do so:
- Come to the school with ONE piece of picture ID (i.e. driver's licence, Canadian passport, or permanent resident card)
- The school will provide you with a personalized letter with a special code on it that can only be used by you. This letter and code are only good for 90 days.
- With the letter and code, you need to complete the security clearance either in-person at the police station or online by following these instructions. CPS APPLICANT INSTRUCTION MANUAL
- Once this is complete, it can take several weeks to receive the results. Once you receive the results, please share them with the school.
- If you receive clearance, it will be good for 5 years and can be transferred to any CBE school.
- If you have already received clearance from another CBE school, please call us to transfer this to Highwood School.
- If you have received clearance from any other organization, unfortunately it cannot be accepted and you must apply for a CBE clearance.
- Call the office (403-777-6200) if you are unsure if your previous CBE clearance has expired or not.
Help the Environment!
We are proud that Highwood School is one of the most environmentally friendly schools in the CBE. We compost food waste and paper towels, use GOOS paper (Good On One Side), and recycle dried up markers, paper, and snack wrappers. We even have solar panels to power up our school. But we still need your help!
- We have quite a few students who forget to bring a fork, spoon or water bottle to school and the school provides them with plastic disposable utensils and cup. These single use plastics are not environmentally friendly, so we encourage you to please ensure that your child has a fork, spoon, and water bottle in their lunch bag every day.
- If you or your work place have any GOOS paper that can be donated to the school, we'd love to have it and use the other side that's blank! Please ensure that what you are donating is flat (not crinkled) and does not contain confidential information on the other side. 8.5" x 11" sized paper would be best.
At Highwood, we try to recognize important Chinese and Canadian cultural events and celebrations. The Mid-Autumn Festival will be celebrated on Friday, September 9. Your child's teacher will be providing you with more detailed information as well as food requests for classroom celebrations. Please ensure that your child and the teacher is aware of any food allergies.
Important September Dates
2022-2023 HIGHWOOD SCHOOL CALENDAR
Monday, September 5: NO SCHOOL- Labour Day
Friday, September 9: Early Dismissal- Tuesday/Thursday kindergarten attends school; Mid-Autumn Festival celebrations
Friday, September 16: Early Dismissal- Monday/Wednesday kindergarten attends school
Monday, September 17 & 18: Indigenous Drumming workshops with Chantal Chagnon
Thursday, September 22 (after school): Meet the teacher conferences (more information to come)
Friday, September 23: NO SCHOOL; Meet the teacher conferences (more information to come)
Monday, September 26: 7:00pm School Council meeting (more information to come)
Thursday, September 29: ORANGE SHIRT DAY- in recognition of the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation, we are asking all students and staff to wear an orange shirt; 9:00- Monthly assembly hosted by Grade 4s
Friday, September 30: NO SCHOOL- National Day for Truth and Reconciliation