Dear Students and Families of Jack James High School,
RE: High School Athletics – Fall Season
Members of the Calgary Senior High School Athletics Association (CSHSAA) have agreed that schools may consider the opportunity to develop practice cohorts for fall sports. This could include tryouts, practices and training but no inter-school competitions are to take place at this time. The opportunity for schools to consider gradually starting up fall sport practice cohorts allows the health and safety needs of teachers and students to be a focus while recognizing there are different implications for each school with respect to how we are responding to COVID-19.
I, in conjunction with our staff and school district, have determined what is best for our given context. The staff at Jack James has taken into consideration and responded to the following variables that affect our ability to either offer and/or maintain practice cohorts in specific sports.
- Impact of required quarantine for staff and/or students
- Community transmission rates
- Ability to implement a rapid response plan in the event of a positive case, including effective contact tracing
- Ability to clean and sanitize equipment and the school facility
- Ability to comply with the guidelines set forth by the Government of Alberta, as outlined in the document Guidance for Sport, Physical Activity and Recreation-Stage 2
- Ability to comply with the processes and procedures outlined in the CBE's 2020-21 School Re-Entry guidelines CBE's 2020-21 School Re-Entry Plan
- Availability of staff
- Ability to offer inclusive opportunities for students given the cap on cohort size
After careful consideration of these variables, we have decided we are unable to develop full school team practice cohorts. We will allow for small group volleyball cohorts to sign in to use the gym at lunch or after school, and keep record of who is in attendance each day. Students participating in small group volleyball play will be given an athletic form to be signed by parents/guardians. Our goal is to sufficiently minimize the risk of transmission of COVID-19 and not compromise our central purpose, which is continuity of learning.
Communication regarding upcoming winter sports will be shared in early November after receiving guidance from the CSHSAA.
Thank you for your support during these unprecedented times. If you have questions regarding this decision, please contact Tony Allen, Athletic Director @ email@example.com or myself at firstname.lastname@example.org