ATTENDING JJ NEXT YEAR?
If your child will NOT be attending JJ next year, please notify the school ASAP. It's important that we have accurate numbers for planning. For more information, click here.
Reminder: Grade 4 students are automatically enrolled at their designated middle school for September 2023.
Requests for Class Placement/ Class Creation for 2023/24
In May and June, teachers and administration will be meeting multiple times to assign students to classes for next year. This is not a task taken lightly at Janet Johnstone School. Professionals who have worked with these children will engage in discussions to determine the best possible placements. We will revisit our class lists multiple times. We kindly request our families trust and respect the professional judgement of our staff. Placement considerations will include multiple factors. Each class will consist of a heterogeneous mix of students. The achievement and ability level, as well as the independent work habits of each student will be reviewed.
Classrooms will be balanced in terms of numbers of children with special learning needs, social/emotional concerns, English Language Learners, and gender
Children's needs will be considered in terms of their working relationships with peers as well as their individual strengths
Children's learning style
Chemistry of the classroom dynamics
Please understand that these are important decisions that need to be made by the educators in our school. Through your ongoing conversations with your current child's teacher, Janet Johnstone staff are aware of unique circumstances. Through personalization of learning and our focus on building relationships with our students, staff have a thorough understanding of the students that they work with. Class placements will reflect our sincere effort to create balanced classrooms where each child is valued, challenged and successful. Tentative class lists will be created in early June, with the final adjustments being completed in August. Staffing is often not finalized until August- the final staff list plays a key role in completing our class lists.
Due to the nature of our enrollment numbers, and staffing, we will be unable to confirm who is teaching what. Once we know more about our enrollment for next year, we will share our initial plans at our School Council meetings in April, May, and June.
If a parent has a specific or extenuating request about student placement for the upcoming school year, a specific process must be followed.
1. Parent requests must be sent in the form of a letter to the principal, Mrs. Kivi, by email (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please do not send your requests to teachers. Verbal requests will not be considered. The administrative team plays a key role in the creation of each class list, so please know that your letter to the principal will be considered in a professional and thoughtful manner.
2. Please indicate in your letter a specific learning need/ learning style for your child.
3. We will place students together that have good working relationships. Friendship requests will not be considered. Students are given many opportunities to engage with their peers from their cohorts at recess, lunch recess, and gym/music.
4. Your letter should only talk about your own child's needs.
5. Please note: requests are only requests. They will be considered (within the reasoning listed above) but are not guaranteed.
6. Requests will need to be made by May 19, 2023. Requests made after the deadline will not be considered.
We are very much looking forward to the next school year- it's hard to believe that we are already starting to think about it! Thank you in advance for your understanding of the complex processes that we need to adhere to and honor in order to ensure that our students are set up for success for September.
If you have any questions, please contact me directly.