Dear JJ Families,
Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a restful holiday break. The weather certainly didn't cooperate and Omicron added another layer of complexity that affected many households. My thoughts are with anyone who has been dealing with COVID- sending healthy vibes your way.
The extension of the winter break for students has added twist to start off 2022. As announced by the Alberta Education Minister last week, students will remain on winter break this week, January 4-7. At this point, we have no information about the return to learning on Monday, January 10. Once there has been more information provided and announced by the government, CBE will share information with families. Until further notice, we are assuming that students will return to regular school on January 10. Please be advised that this is just an assumption until we have firm communication from AB ED in conjunction with AHS.
This week the school is running with very few staff in the building. Most staff are working from home and are in close communication with administration. Our office is not open to the public, however, if you have an inquiry, please call the school. If your call is not answered, please leave a message. You are also welcome to email Mrs. Stahl directly email@example.com.
· Our office hours this week are 9:00am-12:00pm.
We are reviewing our COVID protocols in preparation for the return of students. At this time, please be reminded of the following:
· Staff and students need to wear a mask upon entering the school. Students should have extra masks in their backpacks.
· All staff and students are required to sanitize upon entering the building each time (recess, lunch recess, going outside for gym)
· Students will continue to wash their hands before eating
· Everyone is required to wear their masks when moving around the school. When students are at their desks, they are allowed to remove their masks, as all students are facing the same direction.
· When possible, gym will be outside.
· When gym is inside, students are required to keep their masks on while doing low-impact activities in the gym. Students can sit on the bench to take a mask break as they need it.
· All shared items are cohorted. When items (such as computers and gym equipment) are being signed out, there is a 72 hour quarantine period between uses, as well as sanitizing protocols.
· All high touch points are cleaned and sanitized numerous times each day by our cleaner, Ms. Davies.
· Class cohorts remain intact. Cohorts do not mix within the building our when outside
· Students will continue to eat in their cohorts in classrooms. All desks are sanitized before and after eating.
In the event that we pivot to learning from home, students will be working in their Google Classroom. Our Google Classrooms have been used in classrooms all year long to provide a level of readiness for teachers and students. All students should know how to access their GC from home. If we move to learning from home, teachers will communicate with families about GC access. At this time, there is no need to worry about it. Please watch your emails for further information should we require to pivot.
The school has no information at this time about the rapid test kits (as announced last week by the Alberta Health Minister) that will be sent home with students. Once we have information, we will share it with you. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
We look forward to finding out more information in the coming days and to having our school return to “normal" with students and staff in classrooms. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.
Stay healthy and warm!
Principal; Janet Johnstone School