Off-Campus Education

Work Experience, RAP, Dual Credit, Exploratory

Mr. Gelfand ( - Off-Campus Coordinator

On-The-Job Learning

A flexible way for students to gain invaluable experience learning new skills and abilities. Students can attend classes and earn credits while working or volunteering during school, evenings, or weekends.

Career Pathways

But first, what's the difference between Work Experience and the Registered Apprenticeship Program (RAP)? 

Work Experience can be an "On" or "Off" campus student placement, and RAP is off-campus only. The main difference is that RAP students must work under an appropriately certified Journeyman. For example: if you're working at a car dealership with a certified Journeyman Automotive Technician, and you've applied to AIT, then your time can earn you up to 40 RAP credits!  See the list of skilled trades available for RAP students. Easy to read information on: Trades in Alberta PDF.

IMPORTANT: Your employer is not obligated to indenture you. They must agree to RAP before you can apply for your provincial Blue Book.

Pathway Options

(ON/Off-Campus) Work Experience or RAP for students with a job placement.

  • Complete HCS3000, a prerequisite online safety course. Details at the bottom of this page.
  • Complete an On/Off Campus Agreement (OCA), Acknowledgement of Risk (AR), and contract, have it signed, and start collecting hours on time-sheets for school credits.

Work Experience and Registered Apprenticeship Program (RAP)

Work Experience 15 / 25 / 35 - up to 30 credits

Work experience allows students to gain practical knowledge, enhance their skills, confirm career decisions, and form attitudes that will assist them in their transitions from school to the world of work. Students in Grade 10, 11 and 12 can enroll. The prerequisite course HCS3000 (Workplace Safety Systems) must be completed before any off-campus education credits will be awarded. Existing part-time jobs or volunteering may be eligible as a work experience placement provided the student can demonstrate new learning is occurring. Prerequisite: HCS 3000

Work Experience Requirements

Students are responsible for finding and securing a job within Calgary city limits. If you are not working or volunteering, consider the following steps to help you get prepared:

Have you researched a potential career / business? To research a career, start with to help you determine job outlook, average wage, duties and responsibilities, etc.

Do you have an up-to-date résumé? Are you familiar with your résumé? Can you elaborate if an employer were to ask you specific questions? Click on résumé checklists.

Need help with your resume or cover letter? Are you nervous about a job interview? Ask Mr. Gelfand for help or practice with job interview questions.

Registered Apprenticeship Program (RAP) - up to 40 credits

The Registered Apprenticeship Program is an excellent opportunity for students who know they want to enter a trade to “earn while you learn.” This program usually begins during the summer after Grade 10. The student selects a trade and is placed into a 125-hour work experience (5 credits) which serves as a probationary period. Successful students are then indentured and can earn up to 40 Registered Apprentice credits toward graduation. The student’s timetable is adjusted to accommodate the RAP program. By graduation the student can potentially have completed the hours needed for the first year of an apprenticeship and be ready to apply for the training weeks at a post-secondary institution such as SAIT. Prerequisite: HCS3000

Applying for your Blue Book (to record apprenticeship hours)

Here is the link to apply (online only) for your Apprenticeship and Industry Training blue book: You may wish to review the following information before applying, but I would recommend applying for your blue book as soon as possible. Be sure your employer has an appropriately certified Journeyman who is willing to train you for apprenticeship hours toward 1st year.

Alberta Education Apprenticeship and Industry Training

Online Safety Courses

HCS3000 (Workplace Systems) –Pre-requisite for most on/Off-Campus programs AGR3000 (Agriculture - Farming) HCS3010 (Workplace Practices) CSTS (Construction Safety Training System)

Complete online safety courses anywhere - anytime!

Due date for each online course is two weeks from the date we register you in Each online course is worth (1) 30 level credit, with a grade of 50% or better. If you need more time please provide me with a brief update on how you’re doing, and request a time extension.

All students are required to complete HCS3000 (1 credit). However, you can complete all four if you wish, for extra credits.  Course format is online. See Mr. Gelfand to register!

Are you working on a construction site? Welding? You’ll need CSTS-09 in addition to HCS3000.

What is Next?

After completing your online safety course(s), confirm with your Work Experience teacher to ensure credits will be added to your transcript. 

Do you need to complete any other safety course(s)? Some job placements require more than one safety course, for instance: Working at McDonald's or Bulk Barn requires HCS3000. Working as a hairstylist's in a salon, or cook in a steak house, as an apprentice also requires HCS3010. Working on a construction site would also require Construction Safety Training System - CSTS.

Dual Credit & Exploratory & Off-Campus Programs

We partner with post-secondary institutions, businesses and organizations to offer a wide-range of off-campus courses and work-experience opportunities for students. These are often practical, hands-on learning experiences that that can set students up for future success in post-secondary programs or the workplace.

Click on the pdfs below for important program information including how you can apply and key dates.

  • No tuition fee for CBE students participating in our dual credit programs.

New programs are added throughout the year. Please check back often.

Information Guide

Last modified on