Good Morning to our Lord Beaverbrook families,
I hope you are well and have had a restful and joyful spring break. We are indeed living in unprecedented times, and there is some understandable wonder about what the future will bring us with ongoing learning. For the foreseeable future, together we will delve into the world of online learning. The CBE has spent the past two weeks creating programming opportunities that will be distributed online for our students. A reminder that the CBE is expected to align with the guidelines shared by Alberta Education for continuity of learning and content delivery by division; this is the information recently provided by Alberta Education, along with the link that provides more details:
I would like to give you a quick update as to what you can expect this week.
- Education content will focus on specified and core courses required for high school graduation requirements, including language (English, French and French language arts), social studies, mathematics, biology, chemistry and physics.
- Content from other courses will be delivered where possible, and accommodations for students unable to complete courses are in place.
- Teachers will assign an average of 3 hours of work per course per week, and will be expected to work with their students and parents on the delivery of these materials.
- Our teachers are taking up this work on a very steep learning curve to provide learning opportunities and activities that will begin in the next couple of days.
Monday, March 30
- core subject teachers will be involved in virtual meetings to plan for the first few days of lessons and assignments, which will be rolled out to our students starting on Wednesday
Tuesday, March 31
- families will be contacted by the school to determine access to technology at home, including access to a computer and the internet
- we are also making a plan to address the needs of students without these resources; the school is preparing to produce print copies for pickup for those students who do not have access to a computer and the internet
- you will also be asked how you and your family are doing and you will be encouraged to connect with wellness supports and resources available within and beyond the CBE
- teachers will email students/parents to provide information regarding each course the student is currently enrolled in
- the school will send out a ‘master weekly schedule’ describing when each course will be offered so that there aren't any overlaps in expectations for work completion
- an opportunity will be provided for students to come get materials that they still need/want from their lockers; please see the attached schedule
Wednesday, April 1
- ongoing learning with students begins today
- during this first instructional day, teachers will convey how they will provide course materials and the best way to reach them if/when there are questions
- teachers will also provide more information about what will be expected from them in terms of assignments, how to submit any work, and resources and supports that students can use to support their learning at home
Thursday & Friday, April 2 & 3
- ongoing learning with students
Parents may want to supplement student learning by providing their children with additional resources. The following provincial resources are available to parents:
LearnAlberta.ca – more than 4,000 digital resources aligned with Alberta’s K-12 curriculum.
My Child’s Learning: A Parent Resource - provides parents with information specific to each grade level
Despite the circumstances, we are excited with the prospect of providing these ongoing learning opportunities for our students. Missing our students in the building has been very difficult, but we look forward to reconnecting with each student. Please look forward to receiving ongoing messages from teachers and/or administration in the days to come. As it is very important that we have correct/current contact info for our families, please let us know if there are changes/additions that we need to make.
Finally, if you have concerns in the days to come, please connect with teachers first, and then admin as you see fit. All contact information is on our school website under "About Us".
Thank you and take care.