*If you would like to have a translated version of this message, please click on the Google Translate tab at the top of the page.
In this message…
- Terry Fox Run / Cookies & Conversation Post Event
- School Conferences
- Forms required to Complete
- Forms to Complete if Appropriate and Applicable
- Optional Actions
- Important Information to Read for Your Awareness
Dear Parents / Guardians,
We have many exciting activities and events coming up at Marion Carson, some of which are listed below. This email contains many links regarding forms needing to be completed to start the school year. Please use this message to give you direct links to many of the forms whether they need to be completed online, or printed, signed, and returned to the school. Please see the message sent by School Messenger for active links to all documents below
Terry Fox Run / Cookies & Conversation – September 15, 2023
After being diagnosed with cancer at a young age, Terry Fox began a cross country run called the Marathon of Hope. In an effort to raise money for cancer awareness and research, Terry ran for a total of 143 days and a combined distance of 5,373 km! Terry Fox truly inspired others to never give up when times are difficult and demonstrated incredible determination and perseverance.
This year, we will be hosting our Terry Fox run on Friday, September 15th. We will be watching a short Terry Fox clip inside the school followed by a whole school run outside near the soccer fields from approximately 12:15 to 12:45pm to commemorate Terry Fox. Students should dress appropriately for the weather and be prepared to be active (runners, a water bottle, and a hat if necessary). Parents are invited to join this event for the outdoor run portion from 12:15 – 12:45 pm if willing and able. If planning to join us, please wait outside near the Start / Finish Arch provided by the AMA Youth Run Club where the event will occur.
We are asking students and families who are able to donate a toonie for Terry in support of our Terry Fox run. All proceeds will go to the Terry Fox Foundation in support of cancer research. Donations can be brought to school in person on September 15. If you'd rather, you can also make an online donation, by visiting our school fundraising page https://schools.terryfox.ca/31451 on your Internet browser and clicking donate.
Cookies & Conversation: At the end of the Terry Fox run, all parents are invited to attend a “Cookies and Conversation" in the school field where School Council has generously offered to provide students, staff, and their parents/guardians a few post-run treats and refreshments such as juice boxes and bag of mini cookies (Famous Amos brand) as a way to connect and mingle as a whole school community while sharing about the partnership between the school and the council. If you would not like your child to have these snacks, please email your child's teacher before the day of the run and your child's teacher will instead send them home with them in their backpack.
Everyone is welcome to join both the run and/or the Cookies & Conversation post-event. Please note that students will be expected to remain with their class following the run, and will re-enter the school towards the end of the day to be dismissed as per normal procedures at 1:20pm.
“I want to set an example that will never be forgotten. Dreams are made possible if you try."- Terry Fox
School Meet the Teacher Conferences – September 21 and 22, 2023
Our first meet the teacher school conference is scheduled for September 21 from 4:30 -7:30pm and September 22 from 8:30am – 12pm noon. The booking window to secure your 10-minute conference with your child's homeroom teacher opens Saturday, September 16 at 10am, and closes Thursday, Sept 21 at 12pm noon. Bookings are completed through your MyCBE account by clicking on the Book and Manage Meeting Times tab.
These conferences are specifically an opportunity for parents to share any important information with their child's homeroom teacher to support their learning at school, a chance to clarify classroom routines, while also allowing the teacher to share initial steps in each child's first few weeks of learning. All parents and their children should plan on attending these conferences.
CBE and School Forms
It is that time of year to complete/update various online forms through SchoolEngage on your MyCBE account. Throughout this week, all families should have received an email from the Calgary Board of Education part of which you will see again below in addition to our school specific forms that support a collaborative, safe and welcoming environment for our students, staff and parents. These forms are linked/attached below. Some of these forms are required, some are optional dependant on student need, and some are just for your information. We ask all forms to be completed no later than September 18th, 2023. We ask that the forms not directly completed online through SchoolEngage be printed, completed and returned to your child's homeroom teacher by the same date.
There are detailed explanations throughout this email of each form. At the bottom of the email is a summary of all required, and optional forms. Thank you for taking the time to complete all forms by September 18, 2023.
Forms Required to Complete
In CBE, the forms in an online format (SchoolEngage) are:
- Demographic Verification - 2023-24 – This form includes your child's personal information as well as parent / legal guardian contact information.
- Citizenship Information Update - 2023-24 – This form becomes available if you change your child's citizenship information on the Demographic Verification form.
- Annual Authorization - 2023-24 – Combines the following forms:
- School District Use of Personal Information - explains how CBE uses personal information in providing education services.
- Consent for CBE Use of Student Information – provides an option to grant / not grant consent for additional use of student information by school/district and third parties.
- Consent for Use of Student Information by News Media and Outside Groups (Third Party) - provides an option to grant / not grant consent for additional use of student information by outside groups and third parties
SchoolEngage is one of the applications found in your MyCBE account. This is the same account that you use to pay fees, view academic information, book school conferences, etc.
If you do not have a MyCBE account, on the MyCBE page click on Create a MyCBE Account. For online help refer, to MyCBE - Creating an Account (includes instructions and a video).
To complete these forms:
1 | sign in to your MyCBE account
2 | click on the SchoolEngage icon
3 | select the form
4 | complete or review and update the form
5 | click on Submit to send the form electronically to the school
6 | repeat steps 3-5 for each form
Please submit the Demographic Verification and Annual Authorization forms in SchoolEngage for your child by Monday, September 18. These forms are mandatory every year for Alberta Education to confirm student funding.
Admirable Use Policy:
· This form is required to be printed, signed and returned by Parents/Guardians and by each student in connection to technology use.
Forms to Complete if Appropriate and Applicable
Student Health Plan:
Please complete if applicable if your child has:
· A physical or medical condition may affect the student's attendance at school; and/or
· Medication that is to be taken at school; and/or
· A Student Health Plan that was in place for the 2022-2023 school year or if there is a change in the student's health concern or school registration during the current school year.
· If it is required that you complete a Student Health Plan, we strongly encourage you to return these forms IMMEDIATELY.
· Please note: all medication is kept in the office for student safety. Please contact the office should your child require the medication on their person. No medication is to be kept in backpacks.
Noon Supervision and Transportation Registration
· Registration for both Noon Supervision and Transportation is completed online through your MyCBE Account.
· Please register for Noon Supervision if you have not already done so and if your child stays at school during lunch. We also offer a $5 drop-in supervision fee for lunchroom for students who typically go home for lunch (see agenda insert for more information).
· Please register for transportation if your child is eligible and you plan on having them take the bus.
· Instructions are available on the CBE website Support Page Services Registration (only those students who are registered for Noon Supervision and/or Transportation are eligible to attend Noon Supervision and/or Transportation services as applicable).
Subscribe to School Messenger
· Due to Canada's Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL), you need to subscribe online if you want to receive email or text messages on “commercial" school topics such as picture days, student fees, field trip costs, fun lunches and more.
· If you do not subscribe, you will not receive these messages, but you will receive emails on non-commercial topics such as absence and emergency notifications.
· We recommend you subscribe to both emails and texts
· To subscribe:
o Emails: www.cbe.ab.ca/subscribe
o Texts: text the word YES to the six-digit number 978338 (your cell number must be on file with the school)
Annual Volunteer Registration Form:
· Please return and complete if applicable.
· We welcome volunteers in the classroom, on field trips and with certain tasks at school. Certain activities or field trips would not be possible without the active participation of our volunteers. As a CBE volunteer, you are placed in a position of trust with students, staff or property.
· To volunteer, you also are required to have completed a police security clearance (please contact the school office if you would like to get this process started or are unsure if you have already completed this process).
Volunteer Security Clearance Process
· Step 1: Prospective volunteers must first register as a volunteer at the school office where you plan on volunteering. School office staff will verify your identity and register you in the CBE volunteer database. The school office will provide you with a letter enabling you to obtain a police information check from the Calgary Police Service (CPS).
· Step 2: Visit the CPS online system, electronic Police Information Check (ePIC), to obtain your police check using your CBE volunteer letter. If you are unable to complete the process online, you may visit a police information check location instead.
· Step 3: Once you have received your clearance document from CPS you will need to share it with the school in-person or by email.
*Cost - Your security clearance is valid for five years and the cost is $21.25 ($15.00 for police clearance and 5.95+GST service fee) which is charged during the online ePIC application. This fee is not covered by the CBE.
Important Information to Read for Your Awareness
1. Walking Distance Field Trips
2. Families who require financial assistance can apply through their MyCBE/PowerSchool account. Waiver information is available on the CBE website or contact the school office.
3. Our Marion Carson School website is an excellent source of information. Please check it regularly for news and upcoming events.
Summary of All Forms
Required Forms Summary:
In School Engage through your MyCBE Account:
- Demographic Verification - 2023-24
- Citizenship Information Update - 2023-24
- Annual Authorization - 2023-24
To be printed, signed and returned:
- Admirable Use Policy 2023-2024
- Marion Carson Digital Family Handbook 2023-24 (found in Sept. 1 message)
Optional Forms (if applicable):
Online Through your MyCBE Account
- Noon Supervision and Transportation Registration
- Waiver information
To be printed, signed and returned:
- Student Health Plan 2023-24
- Subscribe to School Messenger
- Annual Volunteer Registration Form 2023-24
Information to Read:
- Walking Distance Field Trips Letter 2023-2024
- School Website: Marion Carson School
Thank you for your cooperation in completing the necessary forms, and returning them to your child's homeroom teacher in a timely manner, and for considering the optional actions. We are happy to assist you via telephone or email. You can reach the office at 403-777-6050 Ext 0 or MarionCarson@cbe.ab.ca with any questions.
Principal, Marion Carson School