McKenzie Highlands Cell Phone and Electronic Device Policy
Over the last number of years, student cell phone and/or electronic device usage in schools has increased dramatically. Although schools recognize the convenience and need families may feel around children being in possession of these devices, they are proving to be a major source of disruption to student learning.
McKenzie Highlands staff has developed a policy that we believe meets the needs of families but also supports teachers in delivering quality instruction and helps students to learn how to most responsibly use their electronic devices. This policy applies to cell phones, all electronic devices, and includes the usage of wireless earbuds.
The main points of this policy are as follows:
- Students are allowed to use their cell phones and electronic devices in school until 8:30. a.m.
- Students are expected to leave their cell phones and electronic devices in their lockers during class time and class breaks.
- Students are allowed to use their cell phones and electronic devices during lunchtime. Grades 4-6 students may not use their cell phones and electronic devices until they have finished eating lunch and are making their way outside for the second half of lunch.
- If a student is using their cell phone or electronic device during class time, without permission, teachers will instruct students to go and put the phone in their locker.
- Students are permitted to use their phones in class, with the permission of the teacher, for an identifiable educational purpose. Phones and electronic devices will not be allowed in class for personal enjoyment in the event a student has finished a task early. Students are encouraged to regularly bring a book to class in the event they finish a task early.
- In the event that a teacher determines a student’s usage of their phone and/or electronic device to be an issue of chronic concern, teachers will confiscate the phone and have it brought to the office, where it will be securely stored. School administration will then communicate the seriousness of this issue with the student and their parents.
In order to support this policy, we ask that parents please phone the office directly and the office will contact the classroom in which the student is present and relay the message or have the student come to the office and use the student office phone to speak with parents.
Thank you, in advance, for your support in helping us to implement this policy.