Regular school attendance has a huge impact on a student's academic success starting in kindergarten and continuing through high school. Even as children grow older and more independent, families play a key role in making sure students get to school safely every day and understand why attendance is so important for success in school and in life.
We realize some absences are unavoidable due to health problems or other circumstances. When students miss too much school it can cause them to fall behind academically. Regular school attendance is an important life skill on the path to graduation and future employment.
Did you know?
- By grade 3, students with regular attendance are more likely to read at grade level.
- By grade 6, regular attendance is a predictor of high school completion.
- By grade 9, regular attendance is a better predictor of graduation rates than test scores.
Please ensure that your child attends school every day and arrives on time. Here are a few practical tips to help support regular attendance:
- Listen and show an interest in your child's day.
- Encourage your child to do well in school and praise their success.
- Help your child maintain daily routines such as, eating breakfast, turning off electronics two hours before bedtime and going to bed early.
- If possible try to schedule dental and medical appointments after school hours or on days off from school.
- Send your child to school unless sick.
- It may be a concern if your child is often sick, complains about going to school and/or struggles with school work.
- Ask for help from the school before the problem gets too big. No problem is too small.
Let us know how we can best support you and your child so they can attend school regularly and punctually.
If you have any questions or need more information please contact us. (403) 777-8230 #0
Karon Hayes, Principal