Wednesday, February 23, 2022 is Pink Shirt Day
Two Nova Scotia high school students inspired Pink Shirt Day by organizing their fellow students to wear pink in support of a Grade 9 boy who was being bullied for wearing a pink shirt. Bullying can happen to anyone, anywhere.
Pink Shirt Day is a time to encourage Albertans to stand up to bullying when they see it in schools, communities, workplaces, at home and online.
Show you care by checking in with one another. Learn #WhereToTurn if you or someone you know is experiencing bullying:
RTA Pink Shirt Day Plan:
Grade 5 & 6
Teachers will use the following tools in our classes along with discussions, skits, and materials (sock and apple, crumpled up paper:
- On Feb. 14th, 15th and 16th, Gr. 7 students are invited to bring their own shirt for tie dye learning at lunchtime
- Students are making wear-pink reminder posters for our school hallways
- On Feb. 23rd, a committee of interested students will circle the grade seven hallway offering face painting and pink ribbons
- Teachers will spend some time discussing the origin of Pink Shirt Day – watch the video about what Pink Shirt day is all about and the purpose of the day
- Read the poem “To this day"
- Students will participate a couple of activities from the attached document
- Reviewing the difference between rude, mean, and bullying
- Teachers are focusing to be how to act with integrity.
- Teacher will be relating integrity to Indigenous injustices and the importance of being informed on difficult topics.
- Students will create 1 Google slide to represent a Canadian Black person's contributions to society - we will share a couple of the slides daily to focus on how history is written and how that may lead to misrepresentations of people.
- Starting next week, students look at the "Heart" & "Spirit" part of Indigenous Medicine Wheel
- We plan to relate this to integrity and kindness
- We are going to look at CBE's Student Code of Conduct, specifically, Student Responsibilities for Promoting Positive Behaviours
- We are going to select items from this calendar to focus on daily until the month of February.
- We also are going to ask for student input on what they can do to recognize Pink Shirt Day.