Bon lundi à tous! It sure started to feel like fall this weekend! After the last 2.5 years, it is exciting to see school activities such as field trips and guest speakers become again part of our educational program. I would like to thank our teaching and support staff for the enthusiasm and effort to create the best experience possible for our students. I would also like to acknowledge the importance of this day for Canadians as we pause to reflect on the life of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Canada's Head of State.
We would like to highlight these items this week:
School Council Meeting Link & Sign Up
- Our first School Council and Parent Association meetings are tonight, September 19th at 6:00 pm. We will be joining virtually tonight at this link:
Join the School Council Meeting
- Stay up to date with School Council initiatives, events and meetings! If you would like to receive our Parent School Council emails, please sign up by clicking the following link.
The Running Club began Thursday September 15th and will run through October 31st, weather permitting. If the weather is not cooperating practices will be cancelled.
There are meets planned for the Running Club during this Fall.
- Sam Livingston will host the first race on Wednesday, October 5th
- Louis Riel will host on Wednesday, October 12th
- Woodbine will host Wednesday, October 19th
- Nellie McClung will host Wednesday, October 26th
The meets all start at 4:30 and the walk through is at 4:15.
If your child is interested in participating in the Running Club meets, please meet us at the locations indicated above on those dates. You do not have to attend all meets to be able to participate in the Running Club. You can still join any meet during the Fall. We are building a healthy community at Sam and we are glad to see students participate when they can. Please contact Mme Cristina if you have questions: email@example.com
Meet the Teacher
We are excited to welcome you to the school between 5 and 7 p.m. on Thursday, September 22, 2022, to meet your child's teacher, see the school and participate in a few activities.
- Classrooms will be open from 5:00 to 7:00. Teachers will be in their classrooms to meet you. It would be great to have your child introduce you to them so that they can get to know you and begin the important parent-teacher relationship. It is important to note that if you would like to discuss your child's progress or if you have information that you would like to share about your child, this should be done in a separate meeting, phone call or email to the teacher. You may drop in at any time between 5 and 7 p.m.
- You may have your child tour you around to see the rest of the school such as the Labo-Créo and the Music room.
- The school administration (Rayna and Scott) will host two sessions in the school gym to provide parents with general information about the school and answer questions. The sessions will begin at 5:30 and 6:30 and last between 15 and 20 minutes. You are free to attend either session.
- Please visit the Scholastic book fair in the Labo-Créo. This is a great opportunity to buy books for your child, especially French ones.
We welcome volunteers in the classroom, on field trips and with other tasks at school or at home. Certain activities or field trips would not be possible without the active participation of our volunteers. If you would like to volunteer, please contact Winter Peters at firstname.lastname@example.org or (403) 777-6890 in our main office to begin the process. For more information, please visit the school website: Volunteer.
Dogs on School Property
Parents, please refrain from bringing your dogs onto the school property, leashed or unleashed, at any time during the day. The City of Calgary bylaw about dogs, states that Dogs are not allowed in:
- School grounds
- Sports fields
Dogs are unpredictable and some of our students are afraid of them. We ask that you comply so that we can provide the safest learning environment possible for our students.
We have already witnessed a few parents doing U-Turns in the crosswalk near the Big Toy playground, with a few people being just narrowly missed being struck by a vehicle. We cannot emphasize safety enough. We will be working in conjunction with our School Resource Officer to ensure safe and efficient traffic flow.
- Please do NOT rush or break traffic rules to ensure your students get to school on time. We would rather they arrive late, and safe.
- Please do NOT pull into the staff parking lot at any time.
We encourage the community to call 311 and report any infractions. Student safety is paramount - always.
Have a great week everyone, and please call or email if you have questions.
Rayna Bergerman (Assistant Principal)
Scott Fehr (Principal)