All SPB staff are looking forward to welcoming all SPB students back to school on September 1st, 2021. We truly hope that all students and families have had an opportunity to enjoy the summer, reconnecting with family and friends. The SPB staff certainly seems recharged and excited to continue teaching and learning. To be better prepared for day 1, please take an opportunity to read the following information regarding the school start-up for 2021-22.
First Day Back at SPB
- All students in all grades will be entering the school on September 1st. Classes will begin at 8:25 am. The doors to the school will be open at 8:00 am.
- All grade 6 students will be entering the school through the main school doors on Chilcotin Road. Grade 6 students will be met at the doors by the school administration and by all grade six teachers. Grade 6 students will be welcomed and taken to their homerooms on the second floor of the school.
- All grade 7, 8 and 9 students will enter the school through any school entrance other than the main doors. Grade 7, 8 and 9 students may choose the southeast doors on Chilcotin, the southwest doors by the playground or the northwest doors near the art room. Teachers will be at all doors to guide grade 7, 8 and 9 students to their new homeroom classrooms.
- At the end of the day, the grade 6 students will be dismissed a few minutes earlier than the other students, so they have time to exit the school as a cohort to find their rides home.
- Please allow the grade 6 families to use Chilcotin Road (directly in front of the school's main doors) as the primary pick up and drop off area.
- Grades 7, 8 and 9 students can be dropped off and picked up along the green space next to the school. There is plenty of space around the bend on Chilcotin Road and on Cherokee Drive to pick up.
- Dropping off students between 7:45 am and 8:00 am is typically far less congested than after 8 am
- Please do not use the staff parking lot to pick up or drop off students. This is not a safe place for students. Please respect these expectations at all times.
- For detailed information regarding Covid protocols, please visit the CBE Covid website. Please remind students to have their masks on as they enter the building. There will be many opportunities for mask breaks throughout the school day for all students. Frequent reminders for handwashing and physical distancing will be given to all students. If any students are feeling unwell, please keep them home.
- Lockers will be provided for all students this school year. Homeroom teachers will provide more information on locker use on the first day of school.
- Students will be expected to share a locker with another student from their homeroom.
- There will be one lunchtime at SPB this school year. Grade 6s will be separate from the remainder of the student body during lunch time.
- All grade 6 students will eat lunch in their cohorts. After 20 minutes for lunch, the grade 6s will go outside for physical activity on the playground.
- Grade 7, 8 and 9 students may eat their lunches inside the school or outside, weather permitting. Approximately halfway through lunchtime, all grade 7, 8 and 9 students will be encouraged to be outside for physical activity, socializing and fresh air.
- There will be no microwaves available for student use until further notice. Please prepare lunch accordingly.
Cell Phones Away for the Day
- SPB will continue our policy on restricting cell phone use during the school day. This policy will assist in accomplishing the following goals:
- Promoting healthy, in-person socializing
- Reducing inappropriate use of cell phones that distract learning
- Eliminate cyberbullying during the school day
- Promoting more physical activity
- Students are to put their cell phones away from 8:00 am to 2:55 pm.
- The current realities of public health in Calgary has given rise to the Calgary Board of Education, providing another opportunity for families to enroll students in the CBe-learn, an online school alternative to in-person learning.
- Transferring to CBe-learn is a full-year commitment. It is not designed to allow for transitions to in-person learning at any point during the school year.
- CBe-learn registration ends Sept. 2 at noon.
- For more information, please visit https://school.cbe.ab.ca/school/cbe-learn/registration/register/full-time-online-learning/pages/default.aspx.
Senator Patrick Burns School Council
- Senator Patrick Burns School is always looking for additional parents/ guardians to share their voices, feedback and experience to inform decision-making that improves the learning for all students.
- There are a number of open positions that need to be filled for the upcoming school year.
- Please see the school website or call directly to learn more about how you can contribute.
We sincerely look forward to serving all SPB families this school year. Please feel free to reach out to us directly with any concerns, feedback or questions. Email is the preferred method of contact at this time. We are available for in-person appointments by appointment only.
Sr. Joel Leavitt (principal) and Sra. Lis Edwards-Martinez (acting assistant principal)