Dear Silver Springs School Families,
What a year this has been!
I want to thank you all for the wonderful welcome I have received being new to the school this spring. I feel so fortunate to have been able to join this incredible learning community. Your children light up my day, the staff work tirelessly to ensure all students are loved, supported, and successful, and our families have shown us such kindness and generosity this year.
Goodbyes: June always brings both farewells and welcomes to our Silver Springs staff. This year, the farewells are particularly difficult. I believe Winnie the Pooh says it best: "How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard". Their hard work, dedication, caring, and passion for children and education is evident in all they do!
- Mr. Vanderbeek, our Assistant Principal is retiring, after 6 years of helping lead this school. He will be missed! We know he will now be able to spend more time relaxing, visiting with family, and enjoying the outdoors.
- Mrs. Janice McKelvie started with the CBE in 2006 and joined the Silver Springs Team in 2007. Janice has made a lasting impression on the lives of so many of our students. She is looking forward to spending more time with her family and a grandbaby on the way!
- Mrs. Heather Forrest - We thank Heather for her 21 years of service with the CBE. We are grateful for her commitment and passion to teaching and learning shared with our staff and students at Silver Springs School over the years. This year she shifted her practice to become a Hub online teacher. She also looks forward to spending time with her family.
- Mr. Kirby Koch has taken the opportunity to pursue further career goals and will be joining Ms. Gillot at Riverside School as a Grade 8 teacher.
- Mr. Jeff Rosewarn joined our school community this past fall on a temporary contract as one of our grade 2 /3 teachers. Sadly, his contract is ending but we do hope that new opportunities in the CBE become available to him.
- Mrs. Alison Armstrong - As an Early Learning Practitioner, her contract is ending but we do hope new opportunities in the CBE become available to her.
- Mrs. Diana Ospina - As part-time lunch supervisor, we were unable to continue her contract, but we do hope new opportunities in the CBE become available to her.
- Miss Amy joined our school this year as a temporary cleaner. She and Mr. Simon have worked tirelessly to keep our school clean and keep our school community healthy throughout this year. At this time, we are still unsure if Miss Amy will be returning to our school in the fall.
Welcome to New Staff Members: June is also a time to welcome people to our team. We are so happy to welcome Ms. Danica Burrows as our new Assistant Principal. Ms. Burrows comes to us from Crossing Park School. We also welcome Mr. Chris Teixeira who will also be joining our teaching staff. He is returning to the classroom after a year exploring graduate studies through a Professional Improvement Initiative. Prior to that, he had been a long-standing teacher at Buchanan School. We also welcome three experienced Educational Assistants to our team: Mrs. Cukulin, Mrs. Kearl, and Mrs. Knaus.
Next Year: Please plan to check your email on Tuesday, August 31, when you will receive an email from your child's teacher introducing themselves and providing first day instructions. Our school event calendar, with any and all information that we have confirmed for next year, is on our website. Please record all the dates now for your consideration throughout out 2021-2022 school year.
And with this final message we wish you a happy and healthy summer!
Our school office will be open beginning Friday, August 27 at 8:30 AM, if you require assistance before the first day of school. Also our back to school information can be found on our website: https://school.cbe.ab.ca/school/silversprings/registration/register/back-to-school/pages/default.aspx
All the best! Thanks for a great year!
Principal, Silver Springs School