Happy New Year to our Sunnyside families!
We are excited to welcome our students back for the final six months of the school year. It will be packed with academic and social-emotional learning and new experiences for our students.
We would like to extend a big welcome to new families who have joined our school community recently. We are so pleased to be growing and have 35 more students than we expected when we did our planning in the spring.
We have some new staff members to formally welcome to our team:
- Mrs. Darla Delawsky has been working in the library since October while Mrs. McKay is away. Darla will continue in the library until March and she has also agreed to take on a lunchroom supervision position and to work with small groups of English Language Learners.
- Haseena Sultana (Miss Haseena) joined us as an educational assistant earlier this year. She supports the kindergarten class in the morning, helps at lunch and works with some Division I students in the afternoon.
- Mrs. Krista Abraham is our new literacy and math intervention teacher. Krista will be working with small groups of grade 2, 3 and 4 students on Wednesday afternoons and Friday mornings. The funding for this position is from Alberta Education and is based on the literacy and numeracy assessments teachers have done with their students this school year and last year.
We are pleased to be able to access a variety of academic and social emotional supports for our students. In addition to the support from new staff mentioned above, here is a list of some other supports we have in place for our students:
- Small group targeted instruction by classroom teachers for literacy and math
- In-classroom and pullout support from Mrs. Clark for Division I students
- Division II support for literacy, math and new English Language Learners from Miss Chilton
- Kindergarten Speech Language Pathologist
- CBE Occupational Therapist, Physical Therapist and Strategists
- CBE School-Based Mental Health Psychologist – small group and individual social skills support
- CanLearn Social Skills group for some Division II students
- Student Learning Team and Collaborative Team Meetings of teachers and administration
Assessment and Reporting:
Currently teachers are working on gathering assessment data for each of their students and summarizing their achievement over the past 4 months. On Monday, January 30, parents/guardians of grade 1 to 6 students will be able to see their child's report cards on PowerSchool/MyCBE and IPPs will be sent home for children with Special Education codes. Kindergarten children will receive their report cards in June. Miss Chilton will be conducting an assessment called the Reading Readiness Screening Tool (RRST) in January and March with all kindergarten students. Student-led conferences will be on March 9 and 10 for all students and their families.
We value our partnership with our students' families. If you have any questions about how your child is doing at school, please connect with their teacher. Information about Assessment and Reporting from CBE can be found here: Assessment
We wish our school community a happy and prosperous 2023!
Krista Schmitt and Sunnyside Staff