November 24th -
- It was so great chatting with many of you during our conferences. One of the items that came up frequently was playing math games at home. This is one of my favourite websites with a variety of fun card games to play at home. If you need a deck of cards, we have extras at school so please let me know and I’d be happy to send one home. Here is the link: https://mathgeekmama.com/best-math-card-games/
Another fun website to practice quick recall of math facts is: https://www.factmonster.com/math/flashcards
- Woodbine’s Winter Wonderland of Giving is coming up and we are looking for some more donations. A parent in our school has created a sign up for some of the items. Feel free to sign up in the link below:
- In order to further support our understanding of magnets, we are going to be designing and producing a device that uses a magnet. Students will be needing some recyclable materials from home in order to do some of their building. They have planned the project and will be starting to do some of the building Tuesday & Wednesday. If you wouldn’t mind sending in extra cardboard pieces and rolls, popsicle sticks, & yogurt containers we would greatly appreciate it.
- Here are some pictures of the week when exploring the polarity of magnets:
Nov 18th -
This week we enjoyed exploring magnets. We tested the strength of magnets by seeing how many paper clips each magnet could hold. We also explored the magnetic field by seeing if magnets could still work when an item was put between the magnet and paper clip. Students were thrilled to discover that some magnets could work through a book, desk and even their hand!
On December 15th, our school is hosting Woodbine’s Winter Wonderland of Giving. As a Grade ⅔ class, we will be collecting supplies to make cat and dog toys for the Calgary Humane Society. Please consider donating some of these items over the next 3 weeks.
- Pipe cleaners
- Fleece fabric
- Felt Squares
- Wooden dowels
- Small Wooden rings or plastic rings
- Shoe laces
- Paper towel rolls
- Old-colourful t-shirts
- Ping pong balls
- Colourful/patterned duct tape
- Tennis balls
- Knee high socks/long socks
These items can be sent directly into class with your students. Thanks so much for your support!
I just have a couple quick announcements for this upcoming November.
1) Home Reading - Home reading packages went home this Thursday. If you did not get one, and still would like to be a part of the program, please email me to let me know. I included a shorter reading tracker this month, due to our late start. After your child has read 10-15 minutes with someone, they can colour in the box. When they have finished the whole page, they are welcome to bring it back to school to show me.
To keep things streamlined, please have your child bring their home reading books back on Wednesdays as I have set aside a specific time in the day to exchange books with students.
2) Library - This year our unofficial library day is Wednesday. Please make sure to remind your students to bring their library books back each Wednesday. Students are also welcome to exchange a book as soon as they have finished reading their current book. They are welcome to go to the library Tuesdays-Thursdays when Ms. D is present. (Please note that this will be expanded to Mon-Fri shortly as we have a new library scanner where students can check in and sign out their own books).
3) Parent Teacher Conferences - Conferences are happening Nov 24/25 this year. I will be sharing your child's areas of strength and next steps for learning during this time. This time, conferences will be happening as follows.
Gr 1-6 Thurs, Nov 24 – 5:00-8:00 PM IN PERSON CONFERENCES
Gr K-6 Fri, Nov 25 – 8:00-noon VIRTUAL CONFERENCES
The Conference Booking Manager will open for families to book their slot at 6:00 am on Thurs, Nov 17 and close for booking at midnight on Wed, Nov 23.
If you are unavailable to meet during these times, please contact me and we will see if we can set something else up.
Have a good Sunday!