Lunchtime at A.E. Cross School runs from 12:07 PM to 12:48 PM each Monday to Thursday. The structure of the lunch hour works as follows:
12:07 PM – 12:25 PM – Students are welcome to eat lunch within the school on the main floor. The hallways, cafeteria and courtyard are available for student use during this time. Please note that there is currently no food service available to students at lunchtime. On days where the weather cooperates, students are also welcome to eat outside on school property.
12:25 PM – 12:48 PM – Students will be asked to go outside during this time period. It will be important that students get appropriate clothing from their lockers right at the end of the morning classes as the upper level of the school will be closed beginning at 12:10 PM.
WITH PARENTAL PERMISSION, students are able to leave campus for lunch time. To minimize the number of students visiting our community neighbours, different grade groups can leave campus on specified days.
- Tuesdays – Grade 7 students
- Wednesdays – Grade 8 students
- Thursdays – Grade 9 students
Should students leave campus, it is an expectation that they are respectful to our community neighbours as they are representatives of A.E. Cross School. Ms. Wiseman and Mr. Lewis visited all businesses around the school to introduce ourselves and the businesses will contact us if there is something that we need to follow up on.
- Students should not loiter at the businesses and they should buy their lunch and return to school property
- Should students be abusing their off-campus privileges by causing disruptions in the community or are consistently late upon return to school after lunch, privileges to leave at lunch may be taken away
- Back alleys and private yards are off-limits to students
- PLEASE NOTE – A.E. CROSS SCHOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE SUPERVISION TO STUDENTS THAT ARE OFF CAMPUS AT LUNCHTIME.
- Students will not leave campus on Fridays during nutrition break (11:33 AM – 11:48 AM) so please ensure that they come to school with a snack.
There will be Healthy Hunger fun lunches once a month beginning September. Families can signup online in Healthy Hunger.
The dates for Healthy Hunger Fun Lunches are listed below:
- Thursday, September 28, 2023 - Subway
- Thursday, October 19, 2023 - Edo Japan
- Tuesday, October 31, 2023 - Kernels Treat Day
- Thursday, November 23, 2023 - A & W
- Thursday, December 14, 2023 - Mucho Burrito
- Thursday, December 21, 2023 - Kernels Treat Day
- Thursday, January 25, 2024 - Subway
- Wednesday, February 14, 2024 - Kernels Treat Day
- Thursday, February 29, 2024 - A & W
- Thursday, March 21, 2024 - Boston Pizza
- Thursday, April 18, 2024 - Edo Japan
- Wednesday, May 1, 2024 - Kernels Treat Day
- Thursday, May 16, 2024 - Mucho Burrito
- Thursday, June 13, 2024 - Boston Pizza
- Monday, June 24, 2024 - Booster Juice Treat Day
Going Off-Campus at Lunch
We encourage all students to stay on campus at lunch.
If your child has your permission to leave the A.E. Cross campus over the lunch period, please be aware there is no school supervision provided to any student going off campus. Supervision of students is limited to A.E. Cross School. If your family has made the decision to allow your student to leave campus, please discuss appropriate behavior when patronizing the businesses in the neighbourhood, and being in the community itself. Students should be respectful of others using these establishments, as well as disposing of litter in trash bins available. Students who are abusive or disruptive will face consequences at school. Businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone and to initiate police involvement if behavior dictates.
For more information on allergies and/or other health concerns visit our Illness & Medical page.