Alternative High School is a unique program. If you are not already a CBE student, you should register at your designated community school before applying to Alternative. Information about registering in CBE can be found on this page: Grade 10-12 for New Students.
If you are interested in attending Alternative High School there are some important steps to complete as part of the registration process.
Note: if you are currently attending a Calgary Board of Education school, please discuss your interest in Alternative with the Student Services or Administration of your current school prior to attending briefing.
1) Attend Information Briefing Session at Alternative High School
This briefing session introduces students to the important beliefs and values of the school, including our Circle of Courage philosophy. Our academic expectations are similar to traditional high schools, with individualized programming. Students will complete their high school diploma in a supportive environment with the freedom for self-expression.
Students are provided with a tour of the school, and introduced to the teachers. They will receive information on courses offered, classroom expectations, the attendance policy and what it means to be a student at Alternative High School. Students and parents will have opportunity to ask for further information.
Please contact our main office at 403-777-7730 to attend the next available briefing session. Currently the information sessions will take place at Alternative High School. (length 1.5 hours)
- November 18, 2022 12:00pm
- November 25, 2022 12:00pm
- December 9, 2022 12:00pm
- January 20, 2023 12:00pm
During the briefing, students are expected to take notes about the school which they will then use to complete their expression of interest.
Following the briefing session, interested students are required to submit the following documents:
- Student Briefing Notes - completed
- Completed Expression of Interest – completed by student and signed by parent
- Current report card or transcript
- 2 reference letters - one reference from the current school and the second reference can be from anyone, unrelated to the student
2) Schedule an Interview
After all required documents have been submitted, if the student is considered to be an appropriate fit for Alternative HS, a staff member from the school will call to schedule an interview with the school. The interview is designed to focus on the individual's students suitability and determine whether the school would be a good fit for your child by learning more about their educational and personal learning needs.
When considering applicants we look for the following:
- Demonstrated understanding of the unique features of Alti, the school agreements, Circle of Courage and mentorship.
- Evidence that the student is a self-directed learner and capable of regular high school courses.
- Student qualifies to attend CBE high school.
- Demonstrated ability to obtain a high school diploma.
- Evidence that the Alti environment could support their learning.
- Thoughtful and complete responses to the expression of interest.
- Satisfactory responses to the interview questions.