Interested students must first attend an informational session.
Please contact our main office at 403-777-7730 for the next available information date. Our complete address and email contact information is available on our Contact Us page.
If you are interested in attending Alternative High School there are some important steps to complete as part of the registration process.
1) Attend a Briefing at Alternative High School
This briefing introduces students to the Circle of Courage, and other important beliefs and values in the school. Students are taken on a tour of the school, and introduced to the teachers. They will receive information on courses offered, classroom expectations, the attendance policy, and what it means to be a student at Alternative High School.
At a briefing, students are expected to take notes about the school which they will then use to complete their application. (This sheet will be included in their application package).
At the end of the Briefing Session, the student should return things to hand into Alternative:
- Briefing Sheet (Filled out)
- Completed Questionnaire (signed by parents)
- Updated Transcript - 2 Reference Letters (at least one reference from a school, second reference by an adult not relative)
2) Schedule an Interview
After you have given in the completed application form, a staff member from the school will call you to schedule an interview with the school. The interview will discuss certain questions with your child about the Circle of Courage, respect for space, how they handle conflicts, past experiences in school, their strengths as a learner, and how they organize themselves. The interview is designed to determine whether or not the school would be a good fit for your child.
When considering applicants we look for the following:
- A stable living situation
- Evidence that he/she is a self-directed learner
- High school age
- An awareness of the Alternative High School (AHS) Drug and Alcohol agreement
- Demonstrated understanding of the unique features of AHS and the School Agreements (i.e. Circle of Courage, DGM, mentorship, recycling)
- Demonstrated ability to obtain a high school diploma
- Need for the AHS environment
- Thoughtful and complete responses to the questionnaire
- Satisfactory responses to the interview questions