Program of Studies
A partnership of learning is encouraged where differences are embraced and individuality accepted. Course offerings include:
- Academic courses: English, Social Studies, Science and Math
- Required courses in CALM and Physical Education
- Elective Courses: Drama 10,20,30, Foods 10,20,30 HCS 3000 and 3010, Applied Sociology 30, Art 10, 20, 30 Experimental Psychology 35, American Sign Language 15, 25 and 35 Drawing 15, 25 and 35, Work Experience, Learning Strategies 15, 25 and 35, E Learn courses offered via CBE Learn and ADLC.
- Students have access to all courses offered at the CT Centre and Central Memorial High School which is across the street from Alternative High School if space is available.
- Daily tutorial times available for additional learning assistance starting at 8:40 AM
Students attending High School will have 30-60 minutes of homework every night. Good work/study habits are important. Homework can be a review of concepts, organizational tasks, and preparation for quizzes/test/exams.
A short conversation every day within a family about school has proven to have beneficial effects on student achievement and on relationships within the family. Students are encouraged to talk about their day, activities they participated in, what’s going well, what they find challenging, etc.
Students should manage time by setting up a schedule of their daily activities that allows for homework completion and review. It is the student’s responsibility to get missed notes, assignments, quizzes and tests. Arrange to see the teacher before school, at noon hour, or after school for extra help or clarification of work.
It is expected that students stay current in their classes. To support students in this endeavor teachers are available for students during Focus Tutorial Time.
Tutorial opportunities are as follows…
- Monday through Thursday 8:40 to 8:55
- At the end of each semester, students have opportunities for credit rescue and demonstrate understand of previously taught course outcomes. Tutorial opportunities will be communicated in the Exam Schedule.
It is important to note that students that are not current in their course program will be instructed by school staff to attend available Tutorial opportunities until such time as they are current in their courses. School staff is also available outside of tutorial time to support student success.