Students are provided access to computers, other technology and the internet to assist them in their learning. Students may bring their own computers / iPads / tablets to school and may use these devices in the classroom.
Students who bring their own devices to school will not have access to school servers or printers through the network. As such they will need to utilize Google Drive to transfer files to the school network. School classes may utilize software applications that the student does not have on their device. No software will be provided to students.
The following activities are prohibited and will be addressed on an individual basis as needed:
- Use of someone else’s CBE account
- Sharing of usernames and passwords for other people to use
- Sending, posting, displaying or using obscene language/messages or pictures or information about oneself or others
- Harassing, insulting or attacking another person or their reputation
- Viewing websites through a proxy server
- Plagiarism of online content
- Tampering with any computer accessories, hardware or software
- Use of technology or accessing sites not approved by staff
- Trespassing in other’s folders, work areas or files
- Utilizing another student’s device without permission
The following sites are prohibited from use:
- Vulgar or lewd depictions of the human body
- Sites that encourage the use of illicit or illegal substances
- Social networking sites (such as Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat etc.)
- Violent acts
- On-line gambling
- Any adult content
- Sites that advocate hatred or violence against an identifiable group
- Sites promoting criminal activity
- Non-educational games
Our expectation is that students become educated and responsible Digital Citizens. Students who breach any of the above points will be dealt with on an individual basis and may result in:
- Restriction or loss of technology privileges
- Restriction of use or confiscation of personal device
- School based disciplinary consequences: and/or
- Police intervention and/or legal action
It is important that parents/guardians and students remember the following:
- The school is not responsible for the loss, damage, or theft of student electronic devices
- The school is not able to provide technical support for student devices.
- Devices can only be utilized when students are under the direct supervision of a teacher in an approved area of the school.
- Recording / photographing / filming of another person for an educational purpose can only be done with the other person’s permission
- Devices can only be utilized for educational purposes.
- Misuse will be determined by the staff and administration.
- This recording / photo / film can only be used for the purpose stated and must be deleted when no longer needed
We view digital citizenship as a shared responsibility between students, parents and the school. We appreciate families supporting our work by discussing with their children their role as digital citizens.
We thank you in advance for your assistance and understanding of these policy changes. Please feel free to contact the administration if you have questions or concerns.
If you have questions or concerns regarding this issue, please do not hesitate to contact the school.
Learn more about our Acceptable Cell Phone Use policy.