Welcome to Auburn Bay School. At Auburn Bay School we endeavour to create a school of excellence where everyone is a learner, everyone is valued and has a voice, and everyone belongs. At Auburn Bay School “Care, create and collaborate” to ensure all students have the opportunity to achieve success. To achieve this, we will work together in unique and collaborative ways.
In addition to the other guidelines for our students and school community throughout our website, please be aware of these principles.
A Community of Responsible Citizens
At Auburn Bay School we believe that everyone has a role to play in creating a safe, inclusive learning environment. We believe all children and adults have the right to:
To create a safe and inclusive learning environment we will focus on:
- Care: develop and create caring relationships;
- Collaborate: working together to develop and create a sense of belonging;
- Create: work together to develop and create an understanding and acceptance of others.
We understand that the learning of these skills is complex. It takes time, patience and excellent teaching. Our goal is to teach children the life skills of responsibility, solving problems, expressing their needs and feelings, and understanding the rights, needs and feelings of others.
In this environment, students are encouraged and supported to work to the best of their ability every day. We personalize our instruction with students to develop learning opportunities that are both challenging and engaging. Teachers at Auburn Bay School have high expectations for student excellence and the pursuit of academic development.
The most effective way parents can support is by teaching your children to use words to express feelings and opinions. Model the use of a variety of feeling words, such as worried, frustrated, excited, and happy to help children put words to their feelings. Close monitoring of children when interacting with others, both on the computer and face to face will assist you in teaching your child to develop appropriate real-life social skills.
Families will find many avenues to send and receive information at Auburn Bay School. We find one communication method will not work for everyone, however there basic communication methods we will all find helpful. Learn more about how to stay in touch with us on our Ways to Get Connected page.
- School Phones - School phones will be limited to the use of school business. School business may include your child having permission to call you on a school phone. During instructional time, teachers are not available to answer phone calls as they are with students however office staff is always available.
- Personal Cell Phones - Should a student bring a cell phone to school we will require the phone to be turned off and stored in a back pack during school hours unless otherwise discussed with families.
- BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) - Students at Auburn Bay School will utilize a wide variety of electronic devices as part of their daily learning. See more information regarding CBE's BYOD framework here: Bring Your Own Device (BYOD).
Lost and Found
Lost items will be collected at the school for short periods of time. Parents and students are responsible for checking for lost items. Lost and Found items will be donated to charity each December, March and June. Prior to donating items they are checked to see if they are labeled. In most cases, if the child’s name is on the item we are able to return it to the student.
Students are expected to dress in a manner appropriate for a respectful learning environment. Hats are to be removed upon entering the school. Indoor shoes are to be kept at school and worn each day. White sole running shoes are best. Students will be outside everyday, except on extremely cold days (see our Cold Weather Days page for details). Please ensure your child has the proper clothing to be comfortable outside. This includes snow pants, hat, boots, jacket and mittens during the winter months.
Clothing, Back-Packs, Lunch Boxes
To support your child in keeping track of their belongings, please label everything. Many backpacks and coats look alike so a name label is required. Lost and Found areas at school tend to get very full and each year we donate hundreds of items of clothing, many in almost new conditions! We are almost always able to return items to students if we see a name label.