Moving towards a Learning Commons at Belvedere Parkway
This year, we are hoping to be in a 'non-Covid' environment, allowing us to continue with the implementation and further development of our vision for our Learning Commons area. We have already assessed, reviewed and culled the book/text content of this space and are looking forward to all our new books being shelved in the next few weeks.
Thanks to resources acquired before Covid we will now be able to move forward with our STEAM area as well as expanding our book collection to include more Indigenous, anti-racist and dual language books. Mrs. Bremner, our Library Assistant is instrumental in supporting all our LC work.
With the development of the new Programs of Study, we will also be looking for ways to best meet the learning needs of our students while considering what motivates and challenges them.
The guiding principles around our vision would include:
- Making our space agile, mobile and sensitive to the needs of our learners.
- A wide range of shared resources such as technology, Makerspace equipment, effective access to library books.
- Comfortable, collaborative multi-purpose spaces for a variety of learners and learning.
- Honouring and developing the creativity in our students through STEAM based activities and learning opportunities.
- Interactive and informative displays celebrating and documenting student learning processes.
- Providing opportunities for authentic and inquiry based learning.