Vandalism means the deliberate damage or defacement of Calgary Board of Education property including buildings, grounds, equipment, and electronic information resources.
Following an incident of damage, loss, destruction or conversion, the principal must ensure that an Accident/Vandalism Report is completed and that copies are forwarded to
- Security Monitoring Centre, and
- Insurance/Risk Management.
When Calgary Board of Education property has been deliberately or negligently damages or destroyed by a student, and the student has been clearly identified, the principal must immediately inform parents or guardians of the student or the independent student, in writing,
- That the incident occurred, and
- That they will receive a claim for restitution when the costs of repair and/or replacement have been determined.
When carelessness on the part of a student results in damage to, or destruction of Calgary Board of Education property, and the student has been clearly identified, the principal or designate must
- Immediately inform the parent or guardians of the student or the independent student that the incident occurred,
- Request that Corporate Business Services provide an estimate of the cost to repair or replace the damage, and
- In consultation with the parents, guardian or independent student determine an appropriate percentage of the cost that is attributable to the student taking into consideration the accidental nature of the damage.