Acceptable Use of Electronic Information Resources
Student use of school computers and network access for student-owned networkable devices [laptops, iPods, cell phones, tablet computers, iPads, Airpods etc.] require teacher permission and supervision. By utilizing the school's computers or accessing the network with personally owned networkable devices, the following agreement is accepted:
While using technology, students are responsible for:
- accessing only those resources for which they have been authorized;
- not accessing resources for others, or ask others to access resources on their behalf, where authorization does not exist;
- ensuring that passwords are kept private and are not shared;
- taking precautions that are consistent with the sensitivity in maintaining the privacy of data that is under their custody;
- ensuring that personal use is limited and does not interfere with the individual's assigned duties, roles and responsibilities; and does not interfere with the mission of the CBE;
- making sure that inappropriate electronic material is not accessed, stored, or distributed;
- ensuring security systems are not intentionally bypassed and evidence of inappropriate activities are not deleted;
- not carrying out hacking or illegal activities;
- using ethical and respectful behaviour when conversing or posting material.
- not disclosing or posting confidential, personal or sensitive information pertaining to themselves or other persons, including but not limited to family members, teachers, students or friends.
- respecting copyright and fair use of content.
- ensuring postings or communications should be professional, in a positive tone, in good taste, and not reflect negatively on the CBE.
- access, critically assess, and communicate information and understanding;
- seeking alternative viewpoints;
- collaborating during inquiry;
- constructing and demonstrating personal knowledge and meaning;
- organizing and manipulating data and making cross--curricular connections;
- practicing digital etiquette.
While using technology, students WILL NOT:
- have in their possession, any Personal Electronic Device in the change room or bathroom;
- take a picture, or make a video or audio recording, or posting of any student or teacher without first obtaining their permission;
- provide a CBE username and password to someone else;
- use obscene language or harass, insult, or attack another person or their reputation;
- trespass in others’ folders, work, or files;
- access, post, send or download inappropriate material;
- post, publish, circulate or distribute personal information (including pictures) about oneself or others without the supervision and consent of a staff member;
- damage, move, or open school-owned computers or accessories
- use someone else’s CBE account;
- assume another person’s identity;
- view web pages through a proxy server;
- run an application or program from an external storage device (e.g. memory stick]; or view web pages that are clearly labelled as being intended for adults only and those with content that contains or depicts:
- vulgar or lewd descriptions or image of human bodies;
- violent acts;
- online gambling; or
- promotion of illegal activities, including drug use
Student printing is regulated by network print software. All students have a 100-page printing allotment maximum (50 pages per semester) from the school. Any additional pages are the responsibility of the student, from their home. Students will only be able to print in black and white as there is currently no student color printer. Students can also arrange with their teacher to send their work electronically (via D2L or email).