Accidents and Injuries
Should your child be injured at school the following procedures will be followed:
- A staff member will take action to ensure the safety of the student and administer minor first aid.
- The parent or guardian will be telephoned and apprised of the situation and asked, if necessary, to come to the school to advise us of their wishes regarding their child’s injury.
- If we are unable to contact the parent or guardian, the administrator in charge will decide if emergency treatment is necessary.
- If immediate emergency treatment appears to be necessary, the child will be transported via ambulance to Alberta Children’s Hospital and the parents or guardian will be advised as soon as possible.
Illness at School
Students who are ill should ask the teacher’s permission to report to the office. In the office, parents will be contacted regarding permission to go home. School personnel are not permitted to supply students with any type of medication. Parents will be asked to come and get their child if the student cannot continue their schooling.
If a student is injured, staff trained in first aid will respond. Parents will be notified as soon as possible. Please note that the school will always err on the side of caution and call 911 to have an ambulance respond should that be deemed appropriate in the circumstance.
The school does not have a full time nurse .The nurse comes in periodically for such reasons as vaccination of students and to leave information for staff and students regarding other specific public health requirements. The nurse can be contacted at Alberta Health Services: 403-955-1256.
Staff members will assist with the administration of medications supplied by parents if the necessary release form is completed and approved by the Principal. Students are not permitted to share prescription or over-the-counter medications with other students at school. Medical information forms must be filled out each school year listing all required medications and whether students are keeping those medications with them or storing them in the office.
Forms You Need
Student Health Emergency Response Protocol Form
This form is to be used when there is a student health issue regarding attention. This includes when there is a request to administer medication.
Student Health Plan
This form is to be:
- completed if a physical or medical condition may affect the student's attendance at school
- completed if medication is to be taken at school,
- reviewed and updated annually or sooner if there is a change in the student's health concern or school registration.