German Bilingual Program (K-6) at the CBE
The German Bilingual Program provides students with the opportunity to acquire the basic skills for speaking, reading, writing, listening and communicating in both English and German at a young age. It is a program in which German and English are used as the languages of instruction, beginning in kindergarten or Grade 1.
Students entering kindergarten or Grade 1 can register. Previous German experience is not required and parents do not need to know the language.
Students with previous German language experience may start the German Bilingual program at other grade levels. In the case of alternate entry points, the student, parents and principal of the designated school will meet to determine a personalized plan for successful entry.
Benefits of Learning German
- Expands the intellect
- Teaches responsible citizenship
- Develops enhanced feelings of self-esteem due to pride in having acquired a tangible skill
- Strengthens English literacy skills
- Encourages the joy of lifelong learning
- Promotes exploration, understanding and appreciation of the cultures of the German-speaking world and contributes to multilingualism and multiculturalism
- Allows students to compete internationally
- Provides students with more choices for advanced education and career options
- Broadens students' cultural life through access to literature, art, music and theatre in another language
- Build fluency in both languages (English 50% & German 50%).
- Explore rich traditions and experience German culture first hand.
Benefits of the CBE German Bilingual Program
- In elementary, a 50/50 split in instructional time between English and German allows students to build fluency in both languages. Children learn to understand and respond appropriately in German in a range of everyday situations.
- The Canadian and German government have a Memorandum of Understanding (Youth Mobility Program), which enables young workers to obtain working visas for Canada or Germany easily. If you already speak some German, it might be fun to work in Germany for a couple of years!
Visit the CBE website to help determine whether or not the German Bilingual Program (K-6) is right for your child and for information on language credentialing.