There are a number of school awards available to students in all grades. These celebrate all facets of student achievement throughout our school community.
Pride and Excellence Awards
Bowness High School will be holding our second annual Pride and Excellence Awards on Wednesday, June 26th, 2019 at the Foothills Alliance Church. We will be celebrating our students’ achievements in three ways:
- Honour Society: Awards will be given for grades 10, 11, and 12 as well as Lifetime Honour Society awards. Students must apply for Honour Society before June 3rd. For more information, select “Honour Society”
- Academic Achievement Awards: Awards will be given to students who have earned the top mark in each course, at each grade level.
- Bowness Scholarship Recipients: Awards for Bowness specific scholarships will be recognized during this event. Please see Scholarship Information for more information.
Students will receive a letter of invitation for this event via email through SchoolMessenger later in June. Parents are invited to attend this event to celebrate their child’s accomplishments. Please save this date if you are expecting an invitation as invitations will come very late as averages are calculated.
Honour Society applications for Grade 10, 11, 12 and Lifetime Members will be
available to be picked up from Student Services starting Monday, April 15, 2019.
Students need to complete these applications and hand them in to Student
Services by Monday, June 3rd, 2019, if they want to receive this award and be
recognized at our Pride and Excellence Awards evening at the Foothills Alliance
Church on June 26, 2019. Letters of invitation will be sent out after final
marks are available. Students can refer to their transcript to determine if they
The purpose of the Bowness High School Honours Society is to recognize and
reward students who have displayed academic achievement. Students and parents
are encouraged to review the Honour Society criteria below.
Students who have been a member of the Honour Society for all three grades
will be recognized as a Lifetime Honour Society member. Their name is then put
on a plaque that is posted in the main foyer showcase.
Honour Society Committee
Determination of marks and averages will be based on final marks for the entire school year. To be eligible as a member of the Honour Society, a student must:
- Attain no fewer than 40 credits in Grade 10; 38 credits in grade 11; and a total of 100 credits by the end of Grade 12.
- Achieve an overall average of 80% or higher with no individual mark below 65%. The courses used to calculate the overall average must include the following:
- English 10-1 or 10-2
- Social Studies 10-1 or 10-2
- Science 10
- Math 10-C or French 10 or Spanish 10
- English 20-1 or 20-2
- Social Studies 20-1 or 30-2
- Math 20-1 or 20-2 or French 20 or Spanish 20
- Science 20 or Biology 20 or Chemistry 20 or Physics 20
- English 30-1 or 30-2
- Social Studies 30-1 or 30-2
- Math 30-1 or 30-2 or Math 31 or French 30 or Spanish 30
- Science 30 or Biology 30 or Chemistry 30 or Physics 30
If a student has been a member of the Honour Society for all three grades, they may apply to become a Lifetime Honour Society Member.
Bowness Valued Student Awards
In keeping with our school credo, Bowness Valued Student awards are presented to students who have made considerable contributions to the school's learning community by demonstrating pride and excellence in the areas of citizenship and service.
Students are nominated by teachers and have demonstrated leadership, commitment and dedication to meaningful student activities. Students are presented with a certificate at an assembly at the end of each semester.