The school was named after William A. Branton who served the Calgary Board of Education as both architect and building superintendent from 1911 to 1956, when he retired. A native of Spalding, England, Branton came to Calgary in 1905 at the age of 16 where he found employment in the construction industry. From 1908 to 1910 he attended Brandon College in Manitoba, and in 1911 he joined the school board under the late Hugh McClellan, then building superintendent. In 1912, Mr. Branton became his assistant and eight years later rose to the position of building superintendent and architect; positions he held until his retirement. He was responsible for the construction of 60 plus schools during his tenure.