Branton School – Electronic Networkable Devices and Network User Agreement
Electronic networkable devices and network access require teacher permission and supervision. Printing student work is permitted with staff permission. All students are eligible to receive a CBE e-mail account. By utilizing the school’s computers and / or the network, the following agreement is accepted.
Acceptable Use of Electronic Information Resources
The privilege to use devices and / networks is dependent on the level of responsibility shown by individual students. It is our intent to have all students access these tools for learning on an ongoing basis. At this point, the permitted tools are laptops and Ipods only. 3G Smartphones i.e. Iphones will only be permitted if they access the school network. All other devices (cell phones) are not permitted. As technology evolves, we will re-evaluate the restrictions. The following acts and prohibited sites constitute inappropriate use and may endanger students, and/or possibly damage the network, hardware, and/or software
Students are encouraged to use technology to:
- Access, critically assess, and communicate information and understanding
- Seek alternative viewpoints
- Collaborate during inquiry
- Construct personal knowledge and meaning
- Demonstrate understandings
- Organize and manipulate data
- Interact with others
- Make cross-curricular connections
Prohibited acts include
- Use of someone else’s CBE account or access to network
- Sharing their own personal device with anyone
- Sending or displaying offensive messages or pictures
- Using obscene language
- Harassing, insulting, or attacking another person or their reputation
- Trespassing in other people’s folders, work, or files
- Accessing, posting, sending or downloading of inappropriate material
- Assuming the identity of another person to gain information
- Viewing web pages through a proxy server
- Running an application/program from a memory stick/jump drive
- In any way moving, or opening hardware or computer accessories
- Any attempt and/or threat to harm a person
- Plagiarism of online content
- Posting, publishing, circulating or distributing personal information (including pictures) about oneself or others without the supervision and consent of a staff member
- Sharing of usernames and passwords for other people to use
- Use of technology or the network to access sites / software not approved by staff
- Using technology during exams
- Listening to music/videos during instruction
- Texting and gaming during classes
Students must respect intellectual property and adhere to copyright, software piracy and fair dealing laws associated with learning technologies.
Prohibited Sites include
- Vulgar or lewd depiction of the human body
- Any content publicly labelled for adults
- Violent acts
- Online gambling
- Sites that encourage the use of illicit or illegal drugs, tobacco, or alcohol
- Sites that advocate violence or hatred against an identifiable group i.e. race, religion, gender, disabilities, age, colour, sexual orientation, etc.
- Sites promoting criminal activity
- The school is not responsible for loss, damage, or theft of student property, including electronic devices.
- The school will not provide technical support for students’ devices.
- Devices can only be brought into the classroom when deemed appropriate by the teacher
- Devices can only be used for educational purposes
- Misuse will be determined by staff/administration
- Digital Citizenship is a shared responsibility between students, parents and school
- Parents are expected to support and promote the Branton Acceptable Use Policy, and students are expected to abide by it.
Cell Phones at Branton
Away for the Day...
In response to the successful reduction of distractions posed by PEDs/cell phones to students during the school day, Branton staff have updated and expanded our cell phone and PED policy for the 2021-22 school year. PEDs/Cell phones devices can only be used outside of school-time unless :
1. Teachers have requested PEDs be brought to a specific class for an educational
2. Students in Gr. 7-8-9 choose to leave CBE property at lunch to access their device.
Students are still permitted to bring their devices to school but are expected to secure
them in their lockers for the duration of the school day unless they meet one of the two
exceptions to the policy listed above.
If a student is found to be in violation of the PEDs/Cell phone policy ( Starting on October
1, 2021) :
1. The device will be removed from the student and held in the office for the
duration of the day. The student’s device, name, and date will be recorded and
the student can retrieve their device at the end of the day.
2. Following the third infraction the school will inform the student’s family of the
infraction and the device will only be surrendered to a legal guardian.
When in use, PEDs/cell phones must be used according to the Branton Acceptable Use
Policy as stated below
A personal cell phone or PED are not required for student success at Branton.
Personal cell phones & PED cannot be used during school hours except for during lunch
hour provided that the student leaves CBE property. During class time, without prior
arrangement with the Principal or a teacher, cell phones & PED must be stored in the
Non-compliance with these instructions will result in confiscation of the student’s cell phone or PED.