We all play a role to ensure our return to school is as safe as possible and that we minimize the spread of COVID-19 in our school.
Learning Meadows Garden Renovation Project Update
We are certain you have noticed that our front entrance/garden area has been undergoing a major renovation to improve the site drainage system. This will avoid ice forming and water accumulation at the bottom of the ramp.Unfortunately, the project is behind schedule due to unforeseen setbacks during the summer; however, I know we will all value the end results as it will ensure the safety of our community.
To access the school office during this renovation please use the Parking Lot Doors where a receptionist will assist you during our office hours Monday through Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Our school office opens on Monday, August 30 from 7:30 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
We bid a fond farewell to:
Sra. Lucía García returned to Spain to continue pursuing her teaching career.
We extend a warm welcome to:
Sr. Jason Purnell who is joining our teaching staff as our Music teacher.
Grade Configuration for 2021-2022
At this time, we confirm that we will have the following grade configurations:
Kindergarten 3 classes (2 morning, 1 afternoon)
Grade 1 3 classes
Grade 2 4 classes
Grade 3 3 classes
Grade 4 3 classes
Grade 5 2 classes
Please note that within the current context of the pandemic class configuration may vary depending on student enrolment throughout the month of September. We appreciate your understanding and support.
First Day of School Procedures
The first month of school is an important time for our students as they adjust to routines, expectations and our unique bilingual learning experience.
We are beginning our school year by welcoming all our Kindergarten to Grade 5 students since Wednesday, September 1 following ECM regular school schedule:
Monday – Thursday 7:55 – 10:45 Friday 7:55 – 11:55
Monday – Thursday 11:50 – 2:40 Friday 7:55 – 11:55
Grades 1 to 5
Monday – Thursday 8:00 – 2:45 Friday 8:00 – 12:00
Friday, September 3 – AM Kindergarten attends
On Friday, August 27, teachers will send a welcome letter to their students.
On Friday, August 27, teachers will contact (via phone call) parents/guardians of students that will benefit from a transition meeting. Parents/guardians will book a 10 min. meeting for these students to meet their teacher on either Monday, August 30 or Tuesday, August 31 in the afternoon by the Play Park or Terrace doors area.
Wednesday, September 1 - To ease the transition of students into the school please follow the process below:
7:45 to 8:00 – Kindergarten: Students follow a soft entry protocol to enter the school directly to their
classroom through the Play Park Doors.
7:45 to 8:00 - Grade 1 and Grade 2: Look for sign with Homeroom Teacher name, room number and class
list on the compound (concrete area around the school) to join the teacher and class, then enter the school.
7:45 to 8:00 - Grade 3, Grade 4, and Grade 5: Students follow a soft entry protocol to enter the school
directly to their classroom. See assigned entry door below. Room numbers will be included in the
teacher welcome letter.
We kindly ask parents to stay on the grass, and students on the compound area while maintaining physical distance.
o Room 10 – Classroom Door
o Room 6 - Terrace Doors
o Room 9 – Play Park Doors
o Room 5 – Classroom Door
o Room 15 – Terrace Doors
o Room 16 – Terrace Doors
o Room 19 - Parking Lot Doors
o Room 20 - Parking Lot Doors
From Thursday, September 2
7:45 to 8:00 - Kindergarten to Grade 5: Students follow a soft entry protocol to enter the school directly to their
classroom through their designated entry door. Teachers will meet students in their classrooms.
We encourage your family to review our school website together to be familiar with the guidelines for building a healthy school community at Escuela Canyon Meadows. A few important housekeeping items to be aware of:
1. Each child needs to have a pair of indoor and outdoor shoes, labelled with their name. Please ensure the ndoor shoes can be used for daily physical education and remain at the school at all times. Students are required to change their footwear when they enter and exit the building. Please also ensure your child has a
large sized backpack.
2. Students are not permitted to enter the school via the front doors (front doors are not available during the Learning Meadows renovation project, use parking lot doors instead). The exception to this is if the student is late. Otherwise all students enter and exit from their grade specific doors. Kindergarten doors face our playground structure.
3. We are a “nut" aware school. We have students with severe allergies that are life threatening. Please avoid sending nut products to school. Each Kindergarten student needs a healthy snack at school and Grade 1 to Grade 5 requires two snacks and a lunch.
4.Parents will drop off and pick up their child(ren) near their designated doors. This is extremely important to ensure the health and safety of our students. The school does not provide after school supervision; please ensure you are on time.
5. Please ensure all after school arrangements are made at home (i.e. play dates). This allows the school to ensure safety of our students. If your child takes the bus, please ensure you are on-time as Southland Transportation will have another route following. Please use the mybusstop app to receive school bus nformation. Calling Southland Transportation directly is the best course of action if you need to get a
message to the driver. Kindergarten students are only released to a parent or an approved designate.Students regularly picked up by an adult are to remain on the bus when no one is at the stop to meet them. If there is no one at your child's stop the bus driver will wait a few minutes and then proceed with finishing
the route. If there is no contact with the parent, the bus driver will bring your child back to the school.
6. Parents new to CBE, please sign up for MyCBE/PowerSchool as this is where you will pay your fees online and book your parent-teacher conferences.
7. Our final reminder includes ensuring immediate, clear and open communication. We work together and follow a three-step protocol to ensure your voice is heard. Our goal is to collaborate together to effectively solve problems at a school level.
i. If you have a question or a concern your first step is to contact your child's teacher.
ii. If you feel your question or concern has not been adequately addressed, then please contact Mrs. Rau (Administrative Secretary) to make an appointment with Sra. Gutiérrez (Assistant Principal).
iii. If you feel your question or concern has not been adequately addressed by our AP, please make an appointment with Sra. Perera Pérez (Principal) through Mrs. Rau.
At ECM, we continue to be committed to student well-being and safety, excellence in teaching and learning,
and to working collaboratively with staff, parents and students to ensure a robust bilingual education for our
We are looking forward to seeing you on Wednesday, September 1!
Sra. Perera Pérez, Principal
Sra. Gutiérrez, Assistant Principal