Capitol Hill School works diligently to ensure that it is a safe place to learn and work. To this end, many precautionary measures, in accordance with Alberta Occupational Health and Safety, as well as, CBE policies and regulations have been implemented. To ensure the safety of all Capitol Hill School students and staff, please be aware of the following:
- All doors are locked at all times during the school’s operational hours from 8:15 AM to 3:10 PM, with the exception of the front entrance.
- All guests, volunteers and parents must use the front entrance to enter the school, then report to and sign in at the office.
- All volunteers, after signing in, must obtain and display a volunteer tag for the duration of the school visit.
- Parents picking up students for appointments must register and wait for their child at the office. Do not go directly to your child's classroom.
- The parent/guardian is responsible for signing out their student in the school office. Students cannot be signed out by anyone who is not on the student’s Emergency Contact List and even then we must have a parent/guardian’s consent.
- When picking up or dropping off students, we ask that parents wait for students at the school’s main entrance.
The office staff is available to support you in any of your inquiries and in ensuring that your child gets to class safely. We are asking that Parents/Guardians wait outside the school, at designated doors, to drop off and to receive children during entry and dismissal times.
Adventurers School Age Care Program Access
The Adventurers School Age Care program entrance is at the east parking lot door. They have their own doorbell that parents can use when dropping off and picking up their children for the Adventurers Program.
As safety and security are of the utmost importance to us, we have a detailed Emergency Response Plan. Each of these potential situations calls for different actions on the part of staff in order to organize for maximum safety and security of children.
In the event of an actual emergency, staff and students will respond immediately and with knowledge about how and where to go. If this occurs, we will immediately inform you. Therefore it is important that you inform the office of any changes to your address, phone number, custody agreements or medical concerns regarding your child.
If you need more information about our Emergency Response Plan and various procedures in place, please either visit or contact the school office.
Emergency School Closure
In the event of an emergency school closure, children will be sent home only if we can confirm by telephone fan-out that an adult is at home to receive the child. If the need arises to vacate the school, all students and staff will move to the predetermined muster point. Please see your School Handbook for details.
The purpose of a Lockdown Practice is for students and staff to develop a sense of security in knowing how to respond during a critical situation. Parents will be advised in advance of these drills. Please note that during a Lockdown Practice all external doors are secured and there will be no access for parents or other visitors until the drill is completed.