At CBe-learn the student, teacher and family work together to foster a positive online learning experience and learning success. Let us consider the important role of each member of the CBe-learn student learning team.
The Parent/Legal Guardian
- Communicates with the teacher about student learning observed in the home.
- Communicates with the teacher/school about student mental health and well-being.
- Where appropriate, support a daytime caregiver (e.g., grandparent or childcare provider) in the role outlined below.
Note: The teacher and school cannot communicate directly about a student with anyone who is not the student’s parent/legal guardian.
The Parent/Legal Guardian or Daytime Caregiver
- Establishes a quiet, organized learning space.
- Provides access to a computer with a working camera and microphone. Encourages the student to use the camera and microphone as guided by the teacher.
- Removes elements from the student’s environment that could be distracting for the student or their peers during real-time virtual sessions. (e.g., pets, toys, conversations in the background)
- Encourages a positive attitude and responsibility for learning and all learning tasks.
- Takes guidance from the teacher regarding how much and what kind of support to provide as the student completes assignments. Describes the support offered to the student at home as requested by the teacher.
- As much as is appropriate, encourages independence in the student. This includes allowing the teacher to see the student’s mistakes. (This allows the teacher to plan for the student’s progress.)
- Establishes routines to support learning and well-being.
- Monitor and support the student in meeting expectations outlined in ‘The CBe-learn Student’ section above.
The CBe-learn Elementary Student
Before accessing Google Classroom:
- Completes a ‘wake up and get ready for school’ routine.
- It is recommended that the student gets dressed, washes up, eats, and engages in some form of physical activity (e.g., stretching routine, yoga, walk in the community with an adult).
Before the first real-time virtual session of the day:
- Reviews the daily schedule.
- Views videos, messages and assignments posted in Google Classroom.
Before all real-time virtual sessions (including the first session):
- Completes tasks, or portions of tasks, prior to the session as requested by the teacher.
- Prepares questions to ask the teacher.
- Prepares materials needed for each session.
During real-time virtual sessions:
- Sits in view of the camera as guided by the teacher.
- Uses the microphone as requested by the teacher.
- Uses ‘chat’ as requested by the teacher.
- Asks questions where appropriate.
During other work times:
- Completes assigned tasks.
- Submits requested tasks.
- Reviews and responds to teacher provided feedback as requested.
- Takes breaks away from the screen.
At all times:
- Believe in your ability to succeed.
- Be brave. Remember mistakes help you learn! Letting your teacher see your mistakes helps your teacher support you.
- Ask for help from your teacher, parent/legal guardian/daytime caregiver when you need it. You can always get help understanding what to do. You will then be encouraged to complete work by yourself as much as possible.
- Protect your login information
The CBe-learn Teacher
The teacher plans and provides instruction according to the Alberta Education’s Programs of Study:
- Welcomes students and fosters connection and community within the online learning environment.
- Posts materials to guide learning at home (e.g., instructional videos, links, choice boards).
- Offers interactive real-time virtual lessons
- Provides opportunities for students to show what they have learned while completing independent tasks. (e.g., discussions, projects & learning surveys)
- Provides specific feedback:
- During online learning sessions.
- Report cards, IPPs, ELL benchmarks, student learning conferences
- Ongoing informal communication leading up to, and in between the above
- Posts a Week-At-A-Glance by the end of each week to show:
- scheduled real-time virtual sessions
- Posts the next school day’s learning materials (e.g., instructional videos, links) and assignments by the end of each school day.
- Communicates informally and formally with parents/legal guardians about student learning.
- Posts assignments for students to practice new learning.
- Instructions are clear, concise, and directed at the student.
- On specific assignments gathered for assessment purposes
- Materials that need to be collected or printed in advance of scheduled learning
- Helps families organize for learning:
- Guides parents/legal guardians in determining the type and extent of learning support offered at home.
- Communicates with students and parents/legal guardians.
- Where appropriate, accesses the support of the School Learning Team (SLT).
The CBe-learn School
- Supports the teacher, parent/legal guardian, and student.
- Ensures students and families are connected to the school.
- Shares information pertaining to virtual school events.
- Communicates school messages to families.
- May visit and participate in online live sessions.
- Supports with routine school procedures.
- Supports the family in identifying appropriate community resources as needed.
Additional Information for Families
We thank-you for your partnership in fostering online learning success for your child at CBe-learn School!
If you have any questions or suggestions, please contact:
Assistant Principal, CBe-learn (Elementary)