Students in Grades 10,11 and 12 have the opportunity to experience a different learning structure with subject-area specialists teaching each course. All online courses in Grades 10-12 operate inside the Brightspace by D2L learning management system. All senior high courses offered by CBe-learn belong to one curricular area:
CBe-learn is continually developing new online courses as demand increases and as expertise among staff develops.
A Typical Week Online
Similar to a traditional school, at the Senior High level you can anticipate dedicating between 6-8 hours per week per course. Course outlines are available on our website to review further detail (structure, organization, assignments, weightings, etc.) within each subject area.
Students are expected to maintain a regular presence within their online course. Daily work is recommended for students to be successful in their work. Students are required to participate in class discussions and group work and submit all assignments. Indicators of participation include responding to email or text discussion postings in a timely fashion, contributing to online and Live Room discussions, submitting coursework, making presentations or reports, and attending mandatory planned functions or events.
Characteristics of a Successful Online High School Student
Organizational skills are essential to success in an online learning environment. Our teachers have come up with some suggestions that may help:
- The student workspace should be in a place in the house that is away from daily distractions.
- If other family members use this workspace, students need an ongoing space for their school materials.
- Students require strong organizational and time management skills.
- Keep a weekly calendar/whiteboard/agenda at the workstation and:
- Prior to the start of classes each week, look through each course’s news item and write the priorities for the week on the weekly agenda.
- For example, record all of the synchronous class sessions that must be attended; all assignments that are due on which days, or tests/quizzes that must be taken.
- Keep a regular schedule. Set your alarm clock to go off at the same time each day. This is healthier for your body and will foster good daily habits.
- Take breaks during the day. It is very important for you to get up and move regularly. Take your dog for a walk, stretch, do a physical activity. It is also important for your eyes to have a break from the computer monitor. Don’t forget to come back to work!
- Keep your work area tidy.
- Work on one project/course at a time.
- If you have any questions, ask them immediately. Don’t wait as it could put you behind in your assignment completion. The teachers are there to help you through your work. Don’t be afraid to contact them as necessary.
- Keep a positive attitude!