Through high school science courses, students focus on interconnected ideas and principles, such as change, diversity and energy. Students develop scientific knowledge through collecting, analyzing and interpreting experimental evidence. In science courses, students make connections among science, technology and society, and continue to develop a sense of wonder about the natural world.
Science Course Sequence
Credits: 5 credits per course
Prerequisites: 50% minimum is required to progress to the next level in a sequence. See the sections below for additional details.
Course Outlines: Course outlines are located within the Introductory Module of each D2L course and contain specific information related to learner outcomes, assessment and weightings.
- Science 30, Biology 30, Chemistry 30 and Physics 30 all enhance scientific literacy and prepare you for post-secondary programs. (Post-secondary entrance requirement vary, be sure to check them online.) Each of these courses has a provincial Diploma Exam worth 30% of your final grade.
- Biology 20, Chemistry 20, Physics 20 or Science 20 can be used as a prerequisite to Science 30.
- Minimum science requirements for a Certificate of High School Achievement is Science 14 (or K&E Science 10-4 and 20-4, which CBe-learn does not offer).
- Minimum science requirement for a High School Diploma is at least one of the following:
- Science 20
- Science 24
- Biology 20
- Chemistry 20
- Physics 20
- Science 14 and Science 10
10, 20, 30 Course Sequences
- introduces biology, chemistry, physics and global energy systems
- allows you to choose from Biology, Chemistry, Physics and/or Science at the 20-level, depending on your interests, abilities and goals
Science 20, 30
- extend the application of biological, chemical, physical and earth sciences and apply them to current world scenarios
- analyze interactions in biological, chemical, physical and global energy systems
Biology 20, 30
- engage in examining interactions of living systems with each other and their environment
- Biology 20 emphasizes energy and matter exchange
- Biology 30 focuses on adaptation and change in biological systems
Chemistry 20, 30
- engage with the study of matter and its changes in the natural and industrial worlds
Physics 20, 30
- engage in the exploration and analysis of the interactions between matter and energy
- understand the physics behind natural events and technology
Science 14, 24 Course Sequence
- general sciences courses that meet the credit requirement for a high school diploma (Science 24)
- apply scientific knowledge and skills to everyday experiences