March 15, 2020
Good afternoon parents/guardians. The Grade 5 team current curriculum topics are:
Social Studies (Unit 5.2: Histories and Stories of way of life in Canada):
- Demonstrate an understanding of the people and the stories of Canada and their ways of life over time, and appreciate the diversity of Canada’s history. We are currently discussing and focused on the creation of the Northwest Mounted Police and the Canadian Pacific Railroad.
Science: Electricity & Magnetism
- Demonstrate safe methods for the study of magnetism and electricity, identify methods for measurement and control, and apply techniques for evaluating magnetic and electrical properties of materials
- How can we calculate perimeter, area, volume and surface area of both regular and irregular objects?
- How do we convert between standard units of measurement?
- How can problems be solved using perimeter, area, volume, angles, measurement and visualizing 3-D and 2-D shapes
Language Arts: Reader and responses, book reports, paragraph writing and guided reading
- Develop strategies for writing both narrative and informational text
- Develop an understanding of how to develop language to enhance writing
- Develop competency with sentence structure and figurative language to enhance writing
Health (Wellness Choices):
- This unit focuses on learning about making responsible and informed choices to maintain health and promote safety
Mrs. Joyce & Mrs. Hosaini